Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mystery Vases

Happy May everyone!!! These flowers were the left over survivors from a much larger bouquet that I had received last month...their longevity has surprised me. The stems were in need of some serious trimming so I chose to re-vase them in this much lower vase than the previous one that they had called home for *two weeks*!

The little white 'vase' is one of two that I found on ebay. I had come across them by chance while perusing milk glass and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them because just a few months ago I'd found the unique glass vessel below at a local antique shop. The owner said that it had been her grandmother's for years but could not tell me it's original purpose. I loved the shape so I purchased it for $8.00 and assured her that I would give it a good home.

In December when these pictures were taken, my *white* hydrangeas were still wearing their fall best so I clipped a few and placed them in the 'vase'. It always amazes me how white hydrangeas can turn such vibrant colors such as chartreuse and magenta...I know some of you out there know what I'm talking about...it's such a phenomenon...but I digress...back to the vases!

So when I saw the two white vases on ebay...in TWO SEPARATE AUCTIONS, what was I supposed to do...it was all too coincidental...so I bid...and won! I got each vessel for about $5.00 (plus shipping of course - boo shipping!) and I love them. One of the sellers had actually asked if anyone knew what the vase originally was...no luck though. There's a little lip around the top that almost makes them look as if they might have had a lid at some point...but what would have been found inside of one of these, lidded? Such a mystery!

Both had been sitting on some shelving in the laundry room until the bouquet rescue and now the other one looks so lonely...it would be fun to use both at the same time somehow, somewhere...

and guess what.....they're OVALS...imagine that!

Which means they fit perfectly on the window sill in the kitchen! Those ovals...so handy!

This is looking from our master bedroom...I was ironing and looked up and there they were. I thought it was kind of cool that I could enjoy them from there too.

So please...if anyone knows what the original use was for these 'vases'...I'd so love to know. Was it a biscuit jar, some sort of toiletry jar, a bon-bon jar (it might have been!)...I hope to find out one day, even though for now, they have been officially designated as vases. Although...now that I think about it, they would make neat pen holders!

(Side note - Isn't it funny how both arrangements were chartreuse and magenta?? Not planned at-all!)

11 comments:

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Jessica:
Absolutely lovely - both the vases and the flower arrangements. We think that the vases were an excellent buy although we have no idea what their original purpose might have been. That they fit so well on a windowsill is a definite plus.

Hydrangeas fade off to the most beautiful of colours and, when dried, have that marvellous papery quality. But we are sure you already know this.

Purple Flowers said...

I love those oval vases. You are destined to have "oval" in your life.
Hydrangeas fade to a beautiful vintage look, and I love them.
Enjoy your vases, and the goodies that are in them!

quintessence said...

What great finds! I love your charming vases. And how fabulous that you found two!! And of course the fact that they're oval totally makes it!!

gillyflower said...

The vases are a lovely shape, and what a co-inicindence finding that same shape! The flowers look gorgeous in it, like a photo shoot for a book or mag!
You got a good deal, you just have to kind of pretent the postage cost doesnt exist so you dont spoil your pleasure at such a bargain!
I love hydrangeas too - ours are blues/pinks, which are beautiful enough, yet come autumn they turn those most amazing mauvey limey colours - i just cant get enough of them from summer thru autumn whatever their colour they are in my house everyhwere!I still have them there now, dried - they retain their colour beautifully - i mix them with eucalyptus leaves too, perfect!
Thanks for your lovely comments!
Gill x

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

I have a vase like yours in just the same shape but in clear glass. For some reason...I have thought that powder came in it at one time...although I am not sure why I think that! lol...it has been around here a long time.
Anyway, I love the shape and I have mine filled with old marbles! Your flowers look just perfect in them! Enjoyed my visit here! :)

Sarah Greenman said...

So charming! Love the look from outside looking through the window.

24 Corners said...

Jane & Lance...Thank you! I am always in danger of having to many dried hydranea's around...I hate to throw them out when they look so nice all dry and papery. These particular ones dried beautifully and I still have them. xo

Purple Flowers...I think you may be destined to one day have ovals in your life too!! ;)

Gilly...Thank you, I was worried that my photos were a bit 'off', your comment made me feel better about them. I'd love to have all sorts of different colored hydrangeas some day...the blue's & pinks are so lovely. I do try to ignore postage...it just irks me when the postage is more than the item! xo

Laura...Love that you stopped by and that you have a vase just like mine. I was wondering if something from the 'beauty department' might have once resided in the jar...maybe it is a jar, powder would make sense. Love that yours has marbles...they are so versatile! xo

Sarah...Thanks! I was surprised by the view! xo

Ange @ A Cream Cottage said...

They're lovely. So different. What a steal to get them at the price. Enjoy! Ange

Maison de lin said...

Hello,

Hydrangeas fade to a beautiful 19 century look, and I love them.
Enjoy your vases,

Thank you to be follower of my blog.
Greetins from Belgium
Jérôme

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I love to collect vases.
If I had a huge closet just for them, I would have a serious ebay obsession!!

a peony princess said...

Your blog thumbnail photo is always so pretty and colorful! ♥

I just love when you get a bouquet that lasts for weeks! While most of the flowers might die, there's those few that keep on going! Love it!

Have a lovely weekend! xo