In last weeks Lilac post, I had wondered why lilac's weren't used in desserts since violets and roses were, not to mention the ever popular lavender and believe it or not...this weekend, serendipity surprisingly struck (is it ever not a surprise?) when my fabulous sis-in-law came over for a visit and mentioned that just the night before, she had had a Lilac Sorbet! I felt myself falling over and shared all about the recent post and it's ponderings. How does this happen? I've never heard of or actually even thought of lilac's being used for anything other than admiration and scent, and then all of a sudden...boom, proof that lilac's *are* used in desserts walked right through my door...I'm still trying to recover from the coincidence!
The Lilac Sorbet my SIL had was of the white variety such as in the image above...she had it at a restaurant called Crush here in Seattle, they served it as a palate cleanser and she said it was delicious, and beautiful. I wasn't able to find Crush's version online but I did find this one. It sounds and looks divine, and fairly simple to make actually, as does the one below...which I think is the one I'm going to try first..the lilacs are combined with honey, lemon and lemon verbena...I'm enthralled.
So after the discovery of the sorbets, I found myself spiraling down a culinary lilac rabbit hole and discovered even more lovely recipes using this sweet flower. I'm so looking forward to trying them out and to do that, I just need to acquire 'a few' blossoms (Pam...I have a very tall ladder!). I truly do want to give these a go...they all sound delightful and I think they look uber pretty too! The sorbet above was made using the dark florets...their beautiful color actually tinted the dessert.
You can make a lovely Lilac Custard using Lilac Sugar...
Or these sweet Lilac Petit Fours with Crystalized Lilac Florets...how lovely they would be at a wedding, a tea, or even a little girls birthday party, so delicate!
The Crystallized or Candied Lilac's can either be made...or bought, if you live in Paris!
I love the image above!
And then there's the pies de resistance....crepes filled with either Lilac Cream - using fresh lilac florets and blueberries or lilac jelly...I have to try the Lilac Jelly!
So there you have it...an assortment of Lilac delectables and delights! Now I just need to start gathering...and growing!
Would you ever consider trying one of these recipes...if so, which one calls to you? Bon Appetit...(Lilac Cupcake in first image ~ here )
Update - My sincere apologies as I just realized several of my links actually never connected and several of my 'post fiddles' never stuck or changed back somehow...and after I had spent quite a lot of time linking and fiddling too! Hopefully now they will stay...and blogger will behave as it should...this has been a tricky post to make stick...lets see what happens!)
33 comments:
Hello Jessica:
We have never heard of Lilac being used in puddings and have been fascinated by your floriferous discoveries.
The Lilac cupcake of the first image you show looks perfectly delectable but, all in all, the Lilac Custard looks to be a winner for us. From the picture it resembles what we should refer to as a Possett, although we have only ever had Lime or Lemon versions. A Lilac one would be so much more exotic.
What gorgeous desserts! Love the idea of using lilac...how stunningly pretty. That first cupcake is dreamy looking...
just found your blog and I'm loving it :)
http://girlynote.blogspot.com
It all looks so good, especially the crepes, wow!!
OMG ! What a post! Delicious visuals... I'm eating it up! So delectable, so beautiful. I want to try any and all. But! The sun is finally out--so I'd better go outside ;)
Oh my! They all look as delicious as they sound!
I have never tried a lilac sorbet, though once when I was lucky enough to go to the renowned Sooke Harbour House, I had a fabulous lavendar rosemary sorbet...to die for!
xo Trish
Grrr...still unable to comment, it's a peony princess :)
Dear Jane & Lance...I think LIlac would make for a lovely Posset, what a wonderful idea...and an easy one at that! :)
Enchanted Home...I love the cupcake too and have posted the source (had forgotten to do so!). It's looked so vintage Martha Stewart to me (which I love). xo
Heba...Thank you! So nice to meet you!!
Fabiana...I'm glad you think so too! xo
Elizabeth Rose...Yes, please enjoy the sun while it's out, we know how that goes! I hope you try one of these...in the kitchen *or* on paper! ;)
Peony...I know, blogger's being so naughty, I hope they fix all soon...thank you for letting me know it was you! Lavender rosemary sorbet sounds so good...another one to keep in mind to try...I love anything with lavender! xo
fun, fun post! love alll the lilac recipes. my favortie... the petit fours!! I'm a sucker for them.... they are perfection in my eyes!!
don't you just love serendipity?!!!
happy weekend!
joan
Wonderful post!
Who would've thought there were all those recipes using lilac!
lovely photos, thanks for sharing all this!
Hope you have a wonderful warmm weekend!
Gill xx
This is such a ode to my favorite flower. the lilac. I love petit fours so my "sigh" rested right there with that photo. I miss lilacs down here! It is so hot already. I'm gearing up for the art walk tonight but am fearful of the heat...
now this has just sent me over the edge...just when i think i have curved my sweet tooth for the day (had a jelly belly attack), i see this post.
i have to be honest and say i would try every one of them. too much. next time you are in sf...we need to do some food tasting..
Joan...So happy you enjoyed this post! And yes, serendipity is the best...if not a little un-nerving, in a good way! ;)
Taio...Thank you so much!!!
Gilly...Such a surprise to me too, but now we know...watch out! I think lilac's are just more difficult to come by so they aren't used as much...have to get around that somehow! xo
Sarah...I wish lilac's grew like crazy in your neck of the woods because I just know you'd be all over these recipe's...and then some! xo
Brock St...You always make me smile! Nice to know there's room for more after a jelly belly attack cuz you never know when those are going to get you! I'd like to try all of them too...and your on, food tasting in SF with you would be a blast...maple-bacon donuts, first on the list (better start living off of carrots and celery now in preparation)! xo
I love all these images and I love lilac. I can't remember ever seeing lilac being offered as a dessert, but I'm going to be on the lookout. I've had lavender ice cream or maybe sorbet, but never lilac. This makes me want to travel in search of lilac.
annie
i am amazed.... this post is fabulous.. who knew you could do so much with our favorite flower!!! i am going to try a few... thank you friend!!
ENJOY day 2.... savor every moment of this glorious sunshine! xoxo
Ypu are killing me. My mputh is watering like Niagra Falls....... Lilac in Ice Cream??? bring it on!!!!!!!!YUMMMM!!!!!!! WE needt tell Blue Bell about that idea!!!!!!!!Maryanne xo
Ok I was distracted.....I MEANT to say YOU are killing me and my mouth is watering..... But really, I live in the town that is famous for Blue Bell Ice Cream..... They need to know about this.......I hate typing on this notebook........Ahgh!!!!!Maryanne ;)
Annie...Love that you stopped by and I think a lilac dessert would look lovely in your beautiful kitchen! xo
Pam...I know...I was so amazed too! Yes, please try a few and let me know how they turned out, I'm so curious how lilac tastes.
Enjoyed today thoroughly...hope you did too! xo
Maryanne...Yes, please tell Blue Bell about this...it would be so cool if a place like that started making Lilac Ice Cream...can you imagine?! And no worries...you grammar is a-ok with me (I've been known to miss a few keys myself!). ;)
xo
Yummy and sooo pretty to look at too!
Thanks for the eye candy.....xo kelley
Wanted to drop by and say thanks for popping over to my blog Jessica. The lilac custard sounds delicious not to mention the crepes filled with lilac cream! How will I ever stick to my diet! Hope you have a lovely week, Nicolex
There is delicious lilac wine too...
* 3-1/2 quarts lilac flowers
* 2-1/2 lb granulated sugar
* 2 lemons or 12 grams 80% lactic acid
* 7-1/2 pts water
* 1 tsp yeast nutrient
* Champagne yeast
Put water on to boil while culling through and rinsing flowers. Put flowers in primary and when water boils pour over flowers. Cover primary tightly and set aside for 48 hours. Strain flowers through nylon straining bag and squeeze to extract all flavor, then discard pulp. Stir sugar, yeast nutrient, juice of lemon or lactic acid into primary and stir until completely dissolved. Sprinkle dry yeast on top without stirring or add activated yeast culture to primary. Recover primary and ferment 7 days. Transfer liquid to secondary and fit airlock. Ferment 30 days and rack, top up and refit airlock. Rack again every 30 days until wine is clear and no longer dropping sediment. Rack into bottles and allow to age 3-6 months. [Adapted from George Leonard Herter's How to Make the Finest Wines at Home]
I WOULD Jessica, I would try them all! You have me missing lilacs, Seattle, and craving lilac custard and crepes! I am one of those people that absolutely adores lilacs. Use to have several huge bushes of them when I lived in this old 1918 farm house in Snohomish. I would fill the house with them. That's a good memory. I hope you enjoyed each sunny moment this last weekend Jessica. Hey, was there not a 'Crush' in UVillage? That was the coolest place! Sending you all my love for a fabulous new week. xo xo Deb
Kelley...Your welcome! Hmmm, maybe there's Lilac 'Candy' too! xo
Nicole...Where these sweet treats are concerned...diet must be tossed to the wind since lilac season is so brief...we *must* indulge! xo
Curator...How extraordinary...Lilac Wine! Thank you so much for the recipe, it sounds delicious. I've never made wine before, this one would be a delight to try though. Lilac's are much more versitile than I ever imagined....again, thank you! xo
Deb...First of all, 1918 farmhouse?! Surrounded by lilac bushes?! That would make for speciall memories indeed, love to see a pic.
I don't recall a Crush at U-Village, maybe that's where they started out. The Madison Park one looks and sounds yummy...another place to visit when you're here! ;)
The sunny weekend was heaven...and it's still sunny this very moment!! :)
Big hugs...have a fabulous week yourself, try to stay cool...
xoxo
I'm your newest follower...and I'm simply swooning over all of your lovely lavender photos. Those crepes look amazing! Thanks for sharing.
Stop by and visit with me too...anytime's good seeing as my 'screen' door is always open! lol
ciao bella
CREATIVE CARMELINA
Yummy, lilac jelly. Homemade lilac jelly, even yummier!
What a beautiful and delicious post! I would love to try all of them, my mouth is watering...
http://www.luxinteriordesigns.com
How wonderful!! I am a lilac lover as well and just adore that all these lovely confections include the fragrant bloom!!
I've never thought of lilacs in another way than being beautiful and one of my favorite flowers. Thank you for the inspiration of using them in the kitchen. What a shame that over here they are faded already. I would have gone right away making some lilac sugar or candied lilacs to use them for desserts.
Hugs,
Julia
I do love a good baking post! Those crepes look especially fantastic!
Scrumptious!
Thank you very much for adding my blog to your "reading list".
What an absolutely inspirational post!
I'm really jonesin some refreshing sorbet right now.
Have you ever made ice cubes with borage flowers? The trick is to fill the tray halfway, freeze, add the flowers, then add more water and freeze again. Nice for a party.
Liz...Love the borage flower idea! I've always wanted to use them...this would be a fun (and pretty) way to try them out, thanks! xo
oh my, lilac jelly ~ what could be more splendid than that?? I just saw Pam at Red Ticking and she sent me your way {thank you Pam}. I will be your newest follower in a few minutes!
Post a Comment