
Once again I've had to surround myself with copious amounts of colorful paper in the hopes of creating a wonderfully fun project for my students...it's the first bit of Christmas anything we've had in the house, and I finally feel the cheer of the season settling over me!

I thought my mantel was looking somewhat barren so I decided to make some stockings for it...sans sewing, which for the life of me I've never been able to master...not even a button!

Paper, scissors, and glue are more my style. I'm hoping the children enjoy making there own this way too...off we go!!
23 comments:
That looks like wonderful fun for the children....and, will really start getting them excited.....I bet they all LOVE you !
Have fun. XXXX
Jacqueline~ We did have fun, thank you so much!! The fireplaces have been 'built & decorated with garland' and next week, the fires will be lit and the stockings hung, I can't wait! xoxo
If I was a kid I wished I had you as my teacher. I really wished I had a teacher like you.
And now whe are going to the Christmas days. I love the days before. Walking in the streets, looking at the shopwindows. Buying little decorations. It is dark very early, so strings of little lights and candles light. It is cosy in a world full of worries.
Is your mom going well? I think she is. I hope she is.
have a nice week
Love from Geri XXX
Geri~ You are an angel to say that!! I think I'm the one who needs to take lessons from you...I'm just a watercolor baby and would love to have you teach me a few special tricks!
I'm so glad you're enjoying the season already...your twinkling & cozy Christmas world sounds perfect!
My mom is doing so well, thank you, it's quite amazing really...a miracle!
Big hugs to you...xoxo
That made me happy!
Best,
Liz
What fun! Where were teachers like you when I was growing up? You are a gift.
What a fun, festive project! I hope you'll post some of the results... I love how kids put their heart and soul into these kinds of activities! and the imagination is so inspiring ... My sister in law hangs all of the holiday art projects that her kids did in elementary school...the oldest will be 20 ... so fun to see what they created ... Happy Holidays dearheart....
Looks like a lot of FUN! Hope we get to see some :)
Hello - Hello! It's been such a long time. I think I should recharge my blog. So nice to see you spreading your love of art!
What a wonderful project. And I feel you and I are once again aligned, as I am having my team at work make a fireplace with stockings too:). Really.
Beautiful, Jessica - polka dots always complete a collage, I feel. How good you are to bring some genuine fun and creativity to all the commercialism of Christmas.
I hear you on the sewing thing. No buttons or hems for this girl either!
Funny how it takes something so seemingly insignificant to make us feel all merry inside!
Much love J!
Thanks so much all for the sweet comments!! We're going to finish the fireplaces next week, and I'll try real hard to get some pictures...usually when there's more than just drawing going on it's pure art-mayhem - the fun kind, but it makes taking pictures a bit tricky, I'll give it my best though! xo
Liz~ Now I'm happy!! Thank you! :)
Victoria~ Your comment is a gift...thank you!
IvyLane~ Hi sweetheart, I've missed you. I hope my students will have their pictures still put up when they're grown up too...it's wonderful that your sil still does that. ♥
ElizabethRose~ I think making the stockings is going to be hilarious...I can't wait to see what they come up with! xo
PurpleFlowers~ It's so nice to *see* you, I'm so glad you stopped by...and yes, please recharge your blog...you are missed greatly!! xo
LPC~ I can't believe you're making fireplaces & stockings too...that's fantastic! When I grow up I want to work for you!! xo
Mise~ Thank you...I think polka dots make *everything* better! :)
Peony~ Oh thank goodness, I'm not alone...whew! ;)
xoxo
Yes, looks like great fun! Have a good weekend!!
I can manage a button or two, but that's about IT! I've never had the patience to learn to sew properly - never will.
This mantle/collage project is a great idea for your kids. Looks like something I'd like to do with my little granddaughter when she gets a bit older, too.
How lovely! I'm with you on the sewing ~ I didn't inherit my mum's seamstressing gene, but paper and scissors I can find my way around. {Thank you for dropping by and your thoughtful comment ~ Mise is such a delight!}
Linnea~ Tomorrow will be the grand finale and I think even more fun...as we'll get to add all the details...that's always the fun part! Hope you've had a wonderful weekend!! xo
Yvette~ I admire the fact that you can at least sew buttons on...that would be a mad skill I'd love to have, but alas, sewing and I just don't get along...no matter how hard I try!
How old is your granddaughter? My students age range is six to eleven...I think it a wonderful idea that you would do this with her...I'm sure she'll just love it!! xo
Shell Sherree~ Thank you!! And I'm very happy to know another non-sewer (and another artist!), it's so nice (and such a relief) to know that I am not alone here! xo
Hello Jessica
Not only are your students learning all about art, they are also benefitting by your knowledge of interior design.
Helen xx
Helen~ I never thought of it that way...but they are! We've discussed hearths, mantels, materials (wood, marble, etc.), and ornamentation...next maybe we'll build a house! ;)
xo
I just loved seeing this, it brings back great memories of when my teens were younger.
And, you can bet if their teacher came up with this idea, it would go into the "save" box to cherish!!!
Adorable! How charming. I know that your students will love hanging stockings with care. One of my most favorite memories as a child was getting clementines and candies in my stocking and an ornament.
pve
A&A~ Thank you, that's so sweet!! xo
PVE~ We're making the stockings today...in just a bit, and I can't wait! I'm actually hoping they'll make *little* goodies to pop out of them...it's always fun to see what they come up with, who knows, we might see some Cuties & Candy Canes! xo
That fireplace scene is adorable. I've taken some of the colorings and drawing my kids have given me over the years and framed them just for Xmas time. I love "rediscovering" them each year.
Post a Comment