
With summer deciding to take leave of us again for a bit (thank heavens it at least showed up for opening day), I thought now would be a good time to head back into the kitchen and talk cookbooks...the storage of them to be precise.
After
winning the "Fearless Baker" cookbook, I was not only very excited to use it, but I was also extremely excited by the fact that I now had another wonderful book of culinary delights to add to my well loved and ever growing 'kitchen' library, which by the way, was started on my eighteenth birthday when I received my very first cookbook...

"Good Housekeeping's Illustrated Cookbook" (above on the right). To this day I still rely on this abundantly instructive book, it's amazing...but I digress, back to cookbook storage (it might be fun in the future though to go through favorite cookbooks and post favorite recipes out of them...I can feel myself getting sidetracked by that thought as we speak, we best move on).
By the way, yes...that is a little bobble head
Miss. Ginger sitting atop my Martha By Mail (sigh) recipe box. I purchased her with the very first proceeds I earned from the sale of my cards at the little French Flower shop that was the first to sell them (
Maxine's, a magical place!), she's very special and she's been keeping me company in the kitchen ever since.

When designing 24C, a top priority was to have plenty of open shelving for storing all of our culinary books. Many are like old friends and having them out and about, continually cheering me on to try new things and offering constant inspiration and guidance has made cooking much more of an adventure and treat.

Some shelving was planned specifically with books in mind...

But the majority were planned for a mix of both cookbooks and whatever else my heart desired to have out at the moment.

On this shelf, a few of my everyday go-to books hang out with some favorite ironstone and restaurantware pieces.
Gitzi painted the little glass jar that I use for a bookend...it's filled with dried sour cherries which I use in just about everything from gorp, to oatmeal, to cookies...to chili!

One day there will be shelving on this wall as well and I'm looking forward to placing some well loved editions here too...and maybe even some new ones (such as
Balthazar's beautiful cookbook which I've been dreaming of for quite a while now).

In our previous home I liked having our cookbooks sprinkled throughout the house (dining and living rooms, even hallways)...as did our guests, the books were always being picked up, perused and enjoyed by them. Cooking books are such great conversation starters and a wonderful way to connect with people. Many times recipes were copied, stories were read and shared, and sometimes a new appreciation for food was begun...loved seeing that happen.
Needless to say, 24C has been sprinkled with culinary books as well, and guests seem to be enjoying them just as much as before which has produced some very nice and nostalgic feelings.

The image above was taken for the recent
Lilac Love post but because it was slightly crooked I didn't use it, but now... since I don't at the moment have a fluffy bouquet on the counter to block all the boxes that are living where our dining table is supposed to be, I'm going to have to use it to show our dining room built-ins. Normally I've just shown bits and pieces as a means of avoiding afore mentioned boxes.

I've particularly loved having cookbooks in the dining room, especially the essay, vintage, and historical ones...they're a bit more library-ish and they mix well with the regular books.

And even though they're behind glass...people are more than welcome to enjoy these books as well as the ones that live out in the open.

One of my favorite cooking essay authors is Elizabeth David..."An Omelette and a Glass of Wine" and "Is There a Nutmeg in the House" are fascinating reads. She almost single handedly taught the post war British generation how to cook again and brought olive oil and garlic into a spotlight that had never even existed before. Her recipe's and essays are a pure joy to read and a must for anyone in love with cooking...I promise, you'll love her!

Some of you may remember this
teacup...I still haven't used it! :/

A vintage gardening book was thrown in with this bunch...just cause it's pretty!

I don't have cookbooks in the other set of glass cabinets yet ...

But I do keep my favorite, often used recipe clippings, printouts, and booklets there...for now.

At least they're all in one place and I'm not continuously rummaging around for them, which used to drive me crazy! They most likely won't stay here...but for now it works.

And now that this post is coming to an end and our Fearless new edition is tucked away in it's new home getting to know Ina and friends while awaiting it's first assignment (Strawberry Rhubarb Pie!)...it's time for me to start thinking about what to have for dinner...which since it's so late...looks like it's going to be pizza!
(Mario Batali's dad has a Salumi shop here in Seattle and he supplies our local pizzeria with his spicy salumi...it's so good...that's what we're having...with mushrooms!)
Guten Appetit (Gitzi's German influence here), and happy cookbook reading!!
43 comments:
Hello Jessica:
W do love the way in which not only do you keep cookery books in your beautiful and immaculate kitchen, but you also place them in other rooms throughout the house. They are, as you say, of interest even to non cooks, such as ourselves, and often, especially today, they are superbly and most imaginatively illustrated.
Elizabeth David, who was a great friend of a friend of ours, did so much, as you say, to revolutionise post war British cooking which has improved so much since we were children. Indeed, we are old enough to remember rationing which continued after the war until the late 1950s for some items!
We imagine that you saw the film about Julia Childs played by Meryl Streep? We enjoyed it enormously.
You have an impressive collection of cook books and your kitchen is gorgeous. I love the clean line design of your cabints and all the professional appliances. Thanks for sharing.
Your kitchen is just beautiful! I love every detail you have put into it. So fresh and clean and sparkly! All of your recipes sound delicious. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
What a wonderful collection of cookbooks you have, and beautifully displayed. I like how your kitchen looks real, not just a showpiece, and clearly full of treasured things.
Your kitchen is inspiring (I am about to embark on a renovation of ours--as soon as we finish the landscaping/deck projects). While I LOVE the cookbooks and all of your beautiful accoutrements, the architect in me is drawn to your cabinetry and finishes, and what look to be wonderful spaces. Gorgeous!
Loverly.
I also love cookbooks. Yours look wonderful the way you keep them, but I also liked the idea of having them around the house for parties. I've been on sort of a cookbook buying moratorium, but I feel the stirrings of new cookbook desire:).
Think I said it once before, but gorgeous kitchen. Cookbooks are friendly "beasts", they help when having friends over for a meal to solve all the problems in the world and giggle a little - or a lot. Have a nice weekend.
Jane&Lance...I'm in awe that Elizabeth David was a friend of a friend...oh to have met her! She's such an icon...as is Julia, and yes, I saw the movie, it was brilliantly done! xo
Gayle...Thank you so much, our kitchen is a long awaited dream come true. xo
Lakeshore...Thank you, I love your description! The kitchen and it's details were planned and dreamt about for many years, I feel very blessed that it's real now. Wishing you a wonderful weekend as well! xo
Mise...That's exactly what I thought about your kitchen...which is still sticking in my mind...I loved it! xo
Elizabeth...Thank you! How exciting that you're going to be remodeling your kitchen. I'm more than happy to offer assistance and inspiration in any way possible, I know I needed needed tons, it's quite the process! xo
Maggie...Thank you! You've reminded me of Miss. Doolittle, which is a very happy thought!xo
LPC...I don't think you can have to many cookbooks...at least I can't! Love being able to 'stir things up' for you! xo
Linnea...You are so right! They *do* help in solving the problems of the world...never thought about it like that! Enjoy your weekend as well...xo
Your kitchen is totally gorgeous!! Love your cookbook nook, its convenient, keeps them organized and looks great! I love cookbooks and did carve out a small space to house them where they would be convenient in my new kitchen. Love your kitchen...are your knobs a rubbed bronze? They are so pretty against the creamy cabinet!
Wow I am a bit in awe of the Hattats too, Imagine being friends with Elizabeth David, she did so much to raise the English from the culinary mires of post war rationing. And she writes brilliantly.
I loved seeing your cookbooks. I have way too many to store in the kitchen but I love the way yours are also scattered about.
It is also interesting the way you in the US have different 'staples' like Ina Garten and Alice Waters. In Australia is it Stephanie Alexander and Maggie Beer and Donna Hay and Bill Granger (although I am often rude about those last two)! xo
Enchanted...Thank you, I'd love to see your ccokbook area when it's finally complete, I know it and *your* new kitchen are going to be just wonderful! The knobs in the kitchen proper are polished nickel (Restoration Hardware) and the ones in the dining and living rooms are by Hafele and are "Antique Black". We're still looking for Antq Blk pulls, only have knobs so far...weren't to crazy about Hafele's options in the pull catagory. Wishing you all the best on your hunt for the perfect hardware...so many options! xo
Jane...I would have loved to have cooked along side Elizabeth, or just even listened to her talk while *she* cooked! Either way...her friends were very, very fortunate, I hope they realized that!
I always love your cookbook posts and still think about your salad cookbook, it's on my list!
I'm familiar with Donna Hay but not the other two....would love to know your thoughts on them...rude ones and all! Ina's my absolute favorite...she's inspired me to no end and I can never get enough of her. Who's your favorite?? xo
Wow! Your kitchen is turning out absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!Love the subway tiles, the whole thins and the door pulls.......I can see we have some similar cookbooks. Mine fill up an entire closet.....It's an obcession.....And Yup I want to get the Baltazhar cookbook just so I can make their brandade......YUM!Maryanne xo
Your kitchen is just beautiful and you also have great taste in recipe books. I too think Elizabeth David is fabulous. I only discovered her this month and I also like Alice Waters, which I noticed on your self as well. Your family must love your cooking! Fifi
Maybe I would cook a lot more and a lot better if I had a kitchen like yours... so clean and white :)
Adore your kitchen wow, your home is turning out to be so gorgeous!! Love cookbooks as well!!
xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena
I have a New, very fashionable Giveaway on my site! Come and enter!
Yes! Write some posts featuring some of your favorite recipes from some of these fabulous cookbooks! I am all over that!
I have many of the same cookbooks as you! Just love Barefoot's 'At Home", I make so much out of that one.
And is that a Fannie Farmer Cookbook I see? I can't quite tell...another gem though.
Lovely post J! I just want to somehow transport your kitchen right over top of mine!
Maryanne...Thank you!! Love knowing other 'obsessors' of cookbooks...and also, appreciators of Balthazar's...I now have brandade on the brain! xo
Fifi...We do love cooking! I love that you've recently discovered Elizabeth, her and Julia are tops in my book, and Alice is always inspirational...and her cookbooks are beautiful if not a bit more adventuresome than my palate! xo
Chew...Your comment brought a smile! Just start...it's addicting once you start turning out yummy stuff! :)
Karena...Thank you so much!! xo
Peony...Okay, I will, thank you for the enthusiasm! Ina's so great, I love 'At Home' too, and 'Family Style', and yes, that is Fanny Farmer...definitely a gem!! I've learned so much from 'her'! Thanks for the all the sweetnes...xo
What a wonderful collection you have amassed and so wonderfully displayed too!
pve
Beautiful kitchen! I love the creamy white against the honey colored wood floors. I noticed the Silver Palate...have heard wonderful things about that cookbook. I didn't know Crabtree & Evelyn have their own book! I only use their lotions. You must be so thrilled with your new kitchen! My eye, I must admit, went straight to those double ovens. Never thought I would need that but I do!
Wow, I want that kitchen:)
Jessica,
Your kitchen is fantastic! Love the open are where you have a coffee bar. As for cookbooks I don't have a ton, I tend to rip a receipe out of a magazine and try it...sad huh!?
Just love your beautiful kitchen and envious of all your storage. In my last house, I had tons of clever cookbook storage. Now while I have a little, many of mine are stored in boxes in the basement. Even though I don't use them all the time, I do love just reading them!!
I adore everything about you Jessica. Miss Ginger, your home, and your attitude about cookbooks and friends. My mom always had scads of cookbooks, so many it drove my dad a tad crazy. But nothing is more fun than sharing recipes, laughs, and special moments that come when talking about, preparing and sharing marvelous food. Our family members are huge foodies, somehow it brings people together & ages disappear. Your kitchen with it's incredible built-in's and gorgeous appliances would be such a happy place to cook. Wishing you a spectacular 4th of July. Do you have fun plans? Perhaps fireworks @ Gas Works Park? I hear the sun may be out!!
Love to you,
Deb
Nice!
Pve & Toyin...Thank you!! :)
Sarah...The Silver Palate is a must...please get it, you'll love it!! It's a classic. And Crabtree's book is just beautiful, I just like looking through it, it's so pretty and very 'English', one of my favorites. I'm so thrilled to have the double ovens...I was always needing an extra, especially in fall and winter, it's wonderful...and I hope you're able some day to have doubles too because if anyone could use them, and use them well, it's you!! xo
Acanthus...I have tons of ripped out recipe pages from magazines...still trying to figure out a brilliant way to organize them! ;)
Quintessence...I could sit for hours reading cookbooks...glad to now you enjoy that too! xo
Deb...You're so dang sweet! I love that your mom 'collected' cookbooks too, she must have helped to develop the foodie gene in all of you, I know mine did....and she colllects cookbooks too, although they're mostly in German. I'm sure some of your mom's favorites are a treasure...well used and loved.
The sun IS supposed to come out on the fourth...it will be a first!! ;) Love fireworks at Gas Works...with Ezell's fried chicken for accompanyment, it's the best...and so are you! xoxox
Love your kitchen Jessica!! It's so pretty and inviting (and I just know there's a gorgeous NW view out those windows;) Ginger is too cute (had Ginger the mini dachshund growing up!) and I too adore cookbooks- would much rather read them than novels! I see you have all of Ina's too (love her- went to her book signing in Seattle for BF in Paris when that was out- she was wonderful!) I see an empty shelf there just waiting for more books! You do have Simply Classic and Celebrate the Rain, Seattle Jr. League cookbooks, yes?! they are wonderful!
happy 4th of july weekend to you!!
joan
jessica.... i LOVE your kitchen it looks amazing... i know... a total labor of love but what a true blessing it is!
the cookbooks are also incredible... we have so many in common... my problem is... i wish i had more time to really read them! but just knowing they are there when i need them are such comfort... and rescue me time and time again....
happy 4th dear friend... wishing you a weekend full of sunshine... i am off to colorado ... sure to have some there! xoxoxo
Joan...I went to Ina's book signing in Kirkland for "At Home", she was so great and we kind of stalked her around the store afterwards...just a little friendly spying, I felt like a groupie! She was so gracious and kind...such a wonderful experience!
And yes, I do have both of the Juniour League cookbooks...they re two of my favorites, I use them all the time! Love that you know about them! Wishing you fabulous Fourth!!! xo
Pam...Yes, most definitely a labor of love this kitchen is...and soon to be another one too! ;) I knew you'd be a cookbook lover...I wish I had more time to read them to, I read them like novels and would get wonderfully inspired...hmmm, maybe it's time to pick one out today just for that purpose!
Have a wonderful time with your family...and there will for sure be some sun waiting for you when you get back...so they say!
Happy Fourth!!!! xoxo
Fabulous, fabulous kitchen!! It would be a joy to spend a day baking there, I should think!
To look to your kitchen gives a very good feeling. It is beautiful, so clean and I love the color and the shapes. And the books, I love cooking books, it seems that they become more beautiful every year. I wish you many happy hours in your kitchen and reading your books and make wonderful dishes.
Hello Jessica,
Your kitchen is beyond gorgeous! It's everything and more that I love in a kitchen. I adore all your details from the beautiful cabinetry, the subway tile, the hardware, the marble and of course your amazing and well thought out collection of cookbooks. I love your basket of current items you've collected just waiting to be tried. So many wonderful and charming details...right down to the little hand painted glass jar.
annie
Pamela & Edward...It's the best kitchen to bake in...why don't you both come over and we'll bake our hearts out, I'll have some honeydew ready for Edward! ;)
Kleurrijk...Thank you Geri...what a sweet kitchen wish! xo
Annie...Coming from you this means so much since I've admired *your* kitchen and all it's special details for so long...thank you!! xo
Jessica, your kitchen is so gorgeous and warm, thanks for sharing all these beautiful and inspiring images (love them all btw and wanted more!) Your displays are just delightful :)
Claudia xo
What a stunning kitchen - in my colour!
I am green with envy.
Claudia...So nice of you to say! The kitchen is the most complete room the house at the moment so it's the most picture worthy...I'll try to post more of it. xo
Tabitha...Thank you!! White and 'green' are beautiful together you know so come on over and we'll have a bake fest...you can show me how to make proper Irish soda bread & scones and I'll whip up some lemon bars and rhubarb pie! ;)
simply a wonderful kitchen...no words...
xo lelley
I love your kitchen, especially the nooks you have made for your cookbooks! We are renovating our kitchen in about 6 months time and I must keep that in mind. It's wonderful. Nicolex
Kelley...Thank you, coming from YOU that means so much! xo
Nicole...I'm so happy you stopped by! Thank you and all the best with your renovation!!!
xo
Talk about gorgeous! YOur kitchen is amazing! I'm saving your photos for inspiration. Also, your cookbook collection is fab and I love how you have displayed them all. ~Delores
PS: I think those avocado green naugahyde barstools would be perfect in your kitchen-don't you think? haha!
Delores! Yes....you see it, the green will be perfect won't it?! ;)
I'm so thrilled that you like my kitchen and am honored that you'd want to save it...thank you!!! xoxo
I wonder if you know how much kitchen envy I'm experiencing right now :-))? I love your kitchen! Especially the subway tiles. Just gorgeous! Good job! One day....I will have my dream come true of renovating our kitchen. Thanks for the inspiration sweetie!
Post a Comment