
I'd like you to meet Lydia...one of my cherished African Violets. This is what she looked like exactly one year ago when we were living in a little cottage that was our temporary home while 24C was being built. She bloomed continuously the two years we lived there, literally non-stop....she was a very happy lady, which made me very happy.

This is what she looks like today, not happy.

Green yes...blooming with dainty little purple and lavender flowers...no.

Even though surrounded by windows...there hasn't been enough light to spark that sweet bit of miraculousness needed to produce her delicate blossoms.

Then there is Kimberly...she usually has intensely dark, strong, and extremely long lasting aubergine
florets. 
And finally there is Edith, Jane's particular favorite. She usually has large soft pink blooms and she is quite old...over twenty actually, and as you can see...

she too has windows galore that offer every chance of being bathed in sunlight...but the light coming in through these windows has been a continually gray one, not the best at bringing forth the much desired botanical prettiness that these ladies are capable of!

So today I realized that I wasn't the only one desperately waiting for a serious dose of sunshine...we all are waiting...we're at the edge of waiting, so much so that once the sun does decide to stay for more that a day or two, we're going to be so full of
bloomage that we won't know what to do with ourselves...it will be the best kind of dilemma - ever!
21 comments:
What a shame they're not blooming yet. But it sounds like when the sping sunshine does arrive all the ladies in your household will be bursting forth!
We have a had a good few sunny spring days now off and on, and the forecast for next few days is highs of 20c!!! Yay!
But today is dull and cold, so am hoping to get indoor jobs done so can make the most of the next few days.
Hope your spring sunshine arrives very soon for you - it really does lift the spirits to feel that warmth on your face and see blue sky.
Gill
please post pics when they are blooming...they are so beautiful in bloom!
lovely post by the way!
xoxo
lila
You, Lydia, Kimberly and Edith are sweet. I hope there will be a lot of sun for all of you. And that you all will blossom as never before.
Me too - can't wait!! Today is again a gray dreary day - so looking forward to sun and warmer weather!
Oh!...beautiful, can't wait for these lovelies to bust a move and show out!!
~JO
Lazy on Loblolly
I love that you name your plants! :)
And the room that they are in looks like it would be a lovely place to curl up and read a book!
Your named plants made me laugh out loud. I sure do hope they make it!
poor ladies, my grandmother was brilliant with african violets had them in profusion- so many and they were all magical-but no names, how they must have suffered and I didn't even know it. pgt
your "girls" are lovely... a shot of african violet fertilizer should help do the trick..mine were not blooming for the longest time, and we are still in cloudy days.. I used the liquid fert. for 3 feedings and they are blooming like mad now!!!! give it a whirl!!!
p.s.. please pop over and check out my new black awnings..you helped on the decision making if you recall!! :) thanks! I wanna know whatcha think!
We can't ever get any plant to live for very long in our home. We definitely could use some of your green thumb.
xoxo
Gilly...Spring seems to be trying to show up now, althoughh it still feels very February to me, definitely not very April! xo
Lila...Thank you for visiting! When the ladies choose to bloom again, I promise to take pictures! xo
Kleurrijk...You're so sweet for sayng that!! xo
Quintessence...What's going on? It's going to be fall before we know it if the sun doesn't start shining! Hope your weather perks up soon too! xo
Jo...Maybe if I play "Bust A Move" for them it will spur them on to bloomage!! Love it! :)
Peony...This is my office and art studio, and my hopes are for one day to have a cozy chair in a corner for just that purpose!! :)
Little Augury...Edith was my Gma's Violet, she's named after her....I don't think Edith had named her prior to my naming her. I'm sure your grandmother's Violets had a secret society and named each other, so they probably didn't suffer too much. xo
Ivy...These ladies have been fed fert for years...BUT, not one tailored to their special African Violet needs. Maybe with the lack of light that's what they need...I'm all over it!
I remember the awnings!! Popping over ASAP! xo
Shopgirl...My little secret has always been having Wednesdays as plant care day. The "W" reminds me to WATER and care for them, before that it was all willynilly which also starts with a W but wasn't very helpful! You can do it, I know you can! xo
I see your problem, Ma'm. You need a Larry...perk those ladies right up! LOL!
oh darlin... i so hear you... maybe if you bring in a disco ball??? he he
snow tonight... insane... xx
Divine...I think you might be on to something here!! ;)
Pam...A disco ball, now your thinkin!! Tonight I put flannel sheets on the bed...and I'm not happy about it...at least you have Cali. to look forward too...lucky girl! xo
Hi Jessica, the nonstop gloom and rain is so ridiculous that it is almost starting to become comical. We'll get our week of sunshine in July, I suppose. :-)
The story of my life...no green thumb here with african violets. They are so pretty, but I have no luck with them!!
Rain, rain go away!
Love african violets, they remind me of my amazing grandma. Some how she could always keep them going, wish she was here to ask how....
I haven't been able to post lately, blogger issues. Blogger wants me to buy more space, seems I have to many pictures. Any chance you know how to bypass that?
Megan
Liz...it's just pull out your hair crazy! :/
Designchic...they can be persnickity little ladies...maybe one day your thumb will turn green! :)
Meg...I would have loved to know your grandma's thoughts on african violets too, I'm sure she would have had some wonderful tips. ♥
I left a comment on your blog about the image thing...so frustrating!! Don't now if it will help but might be a start to figuring it out.
Have a lovely weekend...
xo J~
My girls used to call them The African Violence, poor darlings.
Best,
Liz
I have 2 African violets that have been with me for 6 months. I'm glad to know they might be with me for years! Yours are so verdant and lush. Do you use any special feed?
Brutti...Thank you for visiting and for the follow! They've always gotten a few drops of houseplant Miracle Grow in their weekly water, that's it. Ivy Lane mentioned using African Violet fertilizer which helped her plants so I'm going to give that a try, might be like dessert for them! :)
Post a Comment