Thursday, January 13, 2011

Queensland Love

I'm sure by now, everyone knows about the devastating floods that have been ravaging Queensland. The images and stories have been heartbreaking, and some of our dear fellow bloggers, such as A-M, have been right in the middle of it all, desperately trying to cling to the hope that somehow, all will be well when they are finally allowed to go back home.

Mr. 24 and I have had a love affair with Queensland for over ten years now. We had the great fortune of having to go there for business purposes, he many times...myself twice. We became seriously enamoured with this beautiful and unique section of Australia, from the Sunshine Coast (above) to the Gold Coast (below) and everywhere in-between and around...it's lovely inhabitants, both human and animal...stole our hearts, and we became quite attached.





A couple of Kookaburra....

We actually held one of these lovelies...

Mr. 24's favorite Australian cutie...the Wombat.


This gentle giant of a Roo allowed all of us to pet him...

it was an experience I'll never forget....(yes, that's me...with a few of our very special Aussie friends...hi!).

This sweet Wallaby was very friendly and ate right out of our hands....

And now, there's this....

The image of this poor stranded Goanna really got to me...I hope it was rescued...

along with this guy...it's the absolute helplessness of the animals that gets to me.

But then there is also this.....

and this....

Thank heavens there are brave, kind and generous souls who are helping the helpless, reaching out, not only to the people who are in such desperate need, but also to the creatures who can't in anyway help themselves. Thank you....

The sunny spirit of the Aussies will prevail against this time of tragedy...

and there will be calm once again...it's just going to take a bit of time. Please keep the people of Queensland in your hearts, thoughts, and prayers.

Update: If you would like to give a gift where 100% of your donation will be used in the search, rescue, recovery and treatment of the wild and domestic animals of Queensland...please click here.
Second Update: I had been unsure of which organizations to recommend for donations to help with the cleanup and to supply aid and assistance to those in need...of anything. Sadly, there have been so many scam's in this area of help that there were few I felt comfortable in recommending, but the Queensland Government has a very reliable site to give donations to and they also offer a list of donation sites to be wary of, I believe they will know first hand where these gifts can be best used. The aftermath has been horrendous, but the clean-up so far is going well and the "roll up your sleeves" attitude of the Aussie's seems to be in full force!
(rescue images - bbc and msn / all others - personal)

19 comments:

Purple Flowers said...

It's so sad to see such tragedy. I certainly will keep them in my prayers. Hopefully some level of stability will come to them soon.

Unknown said...

I heard the Prime Minister of Australia on the radio last night speaking about the clean up process than now has to take place as the waters begin to recede. You can't help but think that this 'roll up your sleeves and get to work' kind of community will have things back to some kind of reasonable living conditions in short order.
I've had the good fortune to visit Australia twice too Jessica, Sydney and Melbourne, and I've known a lot of Australians...it's an amazing country and they are an amazing people.

A Lasting First Impression said...

This was a beautiful post. My boys will love to see the animals. We will keep them in our prayers for sure. Thanks for this sweet and heartfelt post...: )
See you Saturday.
M

24 Corners said...

Purple Flowers~ Soon can't come soon enough...thank you. xo

Jacqueline~ Their attitude will be something to watch these next few months...something I think the whole world will benefit from. xo

M~ I have quite a few pictures I know the boys would love to see...I found these yesterday (on disk - they were packed away)...there are still others waiting to be found also that I know they'll enjoy. xo

petals and vintage said...

Thanks for a lovely and very inspirational post. Pam x

Dumbwit Tellher said...

How fortunate you two were to be able to visit Queensland. I hope someday to be able to experience what you may of experienced and see all it's glory. The images were heart-wrenching. So tragic that the people had to ring in the New Year with such a disaster. Your post was inspirational and you have such a warm heart Jessica. Thank you.

A big hug to you my friends xx

brock street said...

thanks for the great and touching post. positive thoughts and great hope for this country and its living things.
heart breaking photo's of the clinging animals..this really chokes me up.

Pearl said...

I've been thinking of you, 24. My heart's been so heavy, watching the water rush in. I know that everything will be all right, of course it will, but in the meantime, yes: the people, the land, the people. Wishing the very best for all involved and will be contributing to the International Red Cross.

Pearl

p.s. Have fond memories of a song about the kookaburra as a child, and if there's anything cuter than the wombat and the wallaby, I don't know what it is. (I'm afraid to "meet" a kangaroo as I fear it would punch me!)

Elizabeth Brown said...

As always, a very moving post from Mrs. 24.
Thank you.

A Perfect Gray said...

hard to believe, isn't it? I saw some news footage and could not believe it. knowing the voice of a few bloggers from that area makes the world so much smaller and makes all this harder to take...

thanks for a lovely post. our hearts go out...

donna

Karena said...

Oh it has been a heartbreaker, I am just glad there are so many to help! Very poignant to see all of the animals in their habitat.

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

red ticking said...

such a fabulous post... i am praying for them... it is heart breaking..
wishing you a wonderful weekend sweet friend.. xx

24 Corners said...

Bayside Rose...what a way to meet you, so glad you stopped by! Please take care, you are all in the thoughts and hearts of so many. xo

Deb...you must go someday, it's the most amazing place, you'd love it...I think you and the Aussie's would click instantly! Your smiling spirit reminds me of theirs. xo

Brock St...those poor animals are hanging on barbed wire of all things...but they must have been rescued since someone was taking their picture, that's my hope. I'm lighting a candle friend...xo

Pearl...I almost put the words to the Kookaburra song in the post, I love that song, it's so happy. It's wonderful that your giving to the Red Cross...they will be needing it, such a big job. I think we all need to hug a Wombat about now, don't you...we actually have a stuffed one - a toy that is, and I think I just might do that. xo

Liz...thank you. I was wondering if you'd been there since you've traveled so much. xo

Donna...your so right, we're connected in such a unique way with others around the globe, it makes it all so much more heart-wrenchingly real. xo

Karena...I'm so glad the help will be strong as well, it's a comforting thought...wish I was there to help also. xo

Pam...your loving post triggered my post, so thank you...I hope you'll be having a lovely weekend setting up that 'vignette' from your shop...at your home! ;)
xo

Anonymous said...

It breaks my heart the pictures of the animals.
The snake..... All those places where water becomes an enemy. Auatralie, Brazil. It is scarring.
I am also glad there are so many to help!

My google account does not work. I am Geri from Holland. From the Bronte Sisters.

Dovecote Decor said...

Thank you for these poignant images. The flood area is so vast it seems inconceivable. All those houses completely underwater makes me worry for the human toll, which I think will be much larger than we know right now. Keep us informed!!
Best,
Liz

Domus said...

Immagini semplicemente stupende. Solidarietà alla popolazione colpita dall'alluvione. Complimenti. Domus

24 Corners said...

Liz...I dread hearing about the final human toll...the stories I've already heard are devestating. xo

Domus...thank you so much for visiting, I wish I spoke Italian! I will try to translate, as your comment seems very nice! :)

Unknown said...

Interesting post, thank you! I could have lived in Oz, so it is a pretty poignant place for me. Always interesting to see how things are Down Under.

Unknown said...

And thank you for the follow as well, lovely to "meet" you!