The 'Awe Shucks' part of this post is the wonderful *Stylish Blogger Award* that my sweet sister-in-law Emily of A Lasting First Impression gave to me recently...the 'Oh Dear' part comes later. Emily's blog is special to my heart not only because she is family...but because she has an amazing gift for writing posts that are encouraging, thoughtful, real, and spirit focused. I'm always inspired when I read how the Lord is working in her heart and life. PLUS...she posts about my two most favorite little dudes Johan & Erik all the time (remember the monkey & the giraffe?).So thank you dear Em...and since I'm supposed to share 7 things about myself now, here goes!
(Update (1/24) - I just found out that the the lovely and extremely talented Rebecca of Acanthus and Acorn has also passed this award on to me and I'm very honored and thrilled as her witty, informative and beautiful blog is one of my favorites! Thank you Rebecca...I am now twice blessed!)
(2nd Update, 3/10/11 - I was so delighted to be nominated twice more for this special award by Melissa of Mel Dreams Often and Linnea of Linnea's Diary, and want to thank them from the bottom of my heart, I am now quadrupely blessed! ♥

2. I can count to ten in German and...I wore Dirndl's when I was a little girl (loved them)! All thanks to Gitzi, my very German mom!
3. I *used* to be able to play the 'Rain Song' by Zeppelin from start to finish...on my Gibson Hummingbird (just like the one above) which was passed down to me by Gitzi when I was in my teens (she used to play too). It's been in storage for a while now and I'm kind of looking forward to picking it up again, I'd love to see what kind of music, if any...still resides in my fingers, I miss playing.
4. I'm not very fond of filing...my piles of papers haunt me daily....
it's just one of those things...I don't mind ironing, vacuuming, other sorts of organizing, my junk drawer is always neat, as is the sock drawer...it's just filing...paper stuff (although, now that I think about it...my card stock is always tidy...that's something, right?).
Maybe I just need some cute file folders like these....maybe the boring ones just don't inspire me, yes, that must be it...cute file folders will solve everything...I just know it!
6. I was a hair stylist for 16 years. I loved it but had to quit for health reasons...the chemicals got to me (huge problem in the industry, although it's getting better now).
I had my own business, renting out a space at a fabulous Seattle salon...I miss the people I worked with and my clients terribly, they were the best.
I still dream of owning a vintage barber chair one of these days like the beauty above, to seat the family and friends who still allow me to touch their tresses. I think they're works of art...and look at all the gloriousness surrounding it, the lovely tiled floors and walls, the art, lighting, shelving...perfection!
7. In my teens...a little bit before thoughts of being a glamorous hairstylist flitted around my young brain, I had high falutin ideas of being an 'Album Cover' designer...ala Roger Dean (he designed all the Yes album covers). I did the water color above when I was about fifteen.
(Artwork above and below by Roger Dean)
My father, who used to draw quite a bit (it does run in the family), was always rendering images of knights, armour, swords, castles and the like...and my initial artwork had a slight bent towards this style, with a little fantasy thrown in for good measure. No medievalness going on...just maybe places where a knight or even possibly a damsel in distress might hang out.
(Above watercolor also done around age 15)*Morning T* (fashionably stylish)
A Perfect Gray (tastefully stylish)
A Room For Everyone (happily stylish)
Beauty In The Ordinary (both ladies are beautifully stylish, inside and out!)
Colorific (colorfully stylish - hehe)
Dumbwit Tellher (stylishly amazing!)
Hill House Ramblings (classically stylish)
Hood Canal Gal (a very stylish eye)
Ivy Lane (stylishly sweet)
Little Augury (fascinatingly stylish)
Notes From Abroad (foreignly stylish)
O so D (perfectly stylish)
Purple Flowers (stylishly warm)
Rambles With Reese (stylishly, and newly, Italianesque)
Simple Daisy (creatively stylish)
I could have kept going and going and going...
Whether you choose to participate or not, please know that you are all thought of as thoroughly stylish in your own very special way and your wonderful blogs speak volumes about you already (but it would be fun to know what color toothbrush you use and stuff like that).
So if you should choose to accept this assignment...(why am I sounding so Mission Impossible?) here's how it goes:
1. Thank and link back to the person that awarded you.
2. Share seven things about yourself.
3. Award 10-15 (recently or not so recently) discovered stylish bloggers (sorry, I kind of cheated here).
4. Contact those bloggers and tell them about the award. ♥
Now...for the "Oh Dear" part of the post...my computer has been behaving very badly this past week (actually longer than that) and after seven years...we are finally going to part ways.I'm not sure how much time we have left together...
But the good news is that a shiny, modern, new one is on it's way and I should be up and running at full speed very soon. In the mean time...I keep praying that this old friend decides to hang around for just a tiny bit longer.I think this was my longest post EVER!! Thanks for sticking around!
24 comments:
Thank you for the blog award. Good Luck w/your much tired computer. We had the same problem a while back, and need to replace one w/new bells and whistles. I'm still trying to figure some out. Take Care.
Can you please send me your e-mail address? Mine is leohaven@optonline.net.
Thanks.
Jessica...why thank you darling (blush, blush).
Love the dirndl!
Good luck with your techno-worries. Over soon I hope.
That was a lovely post. Thank you for your kind words, I love you too! This blogging adventure that we started has been so fun, but there are days I wonder why I should keep going on...It is nice to know that you are encouraged by my posts! Bottom line, that is exactly what I want, for people to be encouraged by my simple and crazy life... : ) I hope your bloggers play along, it is fun to learn more about these amazing people!
Oh My Golly..you are so kind Jessica. Thank you..thank you!
I loved reading more about you. How really special that your mom passed her Gibson to you and you both loved to play. You must get it out of storage & start playing again. You are such a talented family. Your art as a teen was stunning, & it was really special to see some of your work. I think good hair stylists have to be creative, artistic people. I am not surprised you were one and I can only imagine how good you were too!
Thank you Jessica and I'm hoping you have a weekend free of any filing.
Hugs to you xo xo Deb
Jessica, thank you so much for the honor! It means so much coming from YOU! I loved reading about your German heritage. I know you are so proud of it. And if you come do my ironing, I will do your filing all day long! That's one chore I don't mind doing...
Thanks so much again! You're the best! donna
Kathleen~ I'm hoping the new one won't be to complicated...but if it is...and it works better...I'll learn! xo
Jacqueline~ Please let V. know that she is also a part of this...stylishness runs through both your veins! xo
Em~ Thanks again for inspiring this amazingly long post...that was an eye opener! Of course you should keep going on...silly girl, we all feel like that every now and then, it goes away, and comes back, and goes away again, but it's all good! xo
Deb~ My admiration for you and your blog post talents has climbed even higher after posting this...wow! Thank *you*...for your sweet comments and for always 'being there'...hoping one day you'll be 'here', even for a little bit (by the way, it's been dark, gray, and raining buckets...Texas sounds pretty good about now!). And, my weekends are always 'file free' (as are my weekdays really)...that's why all the piles are there! xo
Donna~ Awe...you're welcome Donna, how sweet! And...you-are-on...I'll take ironing over filing *anyday* (maybe we can mail it all back and forth). ;)
xo
Jessica - I've written my new post, and linked back to your blog with alot of difficulty. The link won't work. Instead of 24 Corners, it shows 0.0.24 - I don't get it.
I will continue to try, however, I will thank you, but may not be able to link back to your blog. Sorry.
Here's the other half of Beauty in the Ordinary sending a big thanks your way Jessica...what an honour...oh, and by the way I too always fold my laundry as it comes out of the dryer!
love this post... and i will pray for sunshine this weekend...
wishing you a wonderful one sweet friend ... regardless... xx
Wow! I loved everything about this!!
Pearl
Jessica,
What an honor! Thank you so much. You are like an onion (a sweet one of course!) shedding layer upon layer to get down into the most intriguing complexity.
Liz
V.~ You and J. both amaze me with your beautful posts and insights...I'm always in awe! Nice to know another 'folder'! ;)
Pam~ Thank you!! I see a break through in the clouds...keep praying! Wishing you the best Sunday!! xo
Pearl~ Thank you to you also...and, I know that you're a stylish blogger too...I checked! :)
Liz~ WEll...your spreading of colorful stylishness around this great state (and maybe other places too) deserves some attention, and so does saving the world from breaking the laws of Chromatic Distribution...which is so desperately needed! xo
This is a wonderful post!
Jessica,
I passed this award to you too! At least your won't have to write 7 things again...this was so fun reading, especially about your artistic abilities!
Thank you so much Jessica! So incredibly thoughtful of you to send this award my way. I've never had one before and you made my day!
I love that you still have pictures you drew when you were 15!
I'll post tomorrow.
xo
Megan
Jessica - congratulations on your award! I nodded my head in agreement reading your list - I have such a MAJOR paper problem - I'd rather do almost anything other than filing, and sort of the same with ironing - why I also get things directly out of the dryer!! Will be checking out some of these blogs you've introduced me to!
Jessica, a belated thanks for this lovely award- I have just completed this exercise awarded to me by 2 others and wish I had included you in my thank you.
Paper is a nuisance thank goodness for the computer-I talk myself out of PAPER filing as much as possible. I do enjoy your posts. pgt
Megan...you deserve it! Looking forward to seeing your list! xo
Quintessence...thank you! I'm so glad I'm not the only one with a paper 'issue'...I don't get it, but it really is the last thing in the world I would rather be doing! So glad you stopped by!
xo
pgt~ You're so welcome...and I'm honored that you enjoy reading 24C, that made my day! I wonder what it is about organizing paper...such a mystery...it is just so easy to do anything 'but'! ;)
you are such a doll, with a huge heart and i should have know you had the love from above.
i loved this post. it lifted me out of my funk tonight.
Brock...you don't know how much your comment has lifted me up out of mine...thank you. xo
Jessica! Congratulations on receiving this award and thank you so much for passing it onto me and these other fabulous ladies! It was so much fun reading about you and it's really cool that I share some quirky habits with you. I like to fold laundry when it comes out of the dryer. And I'm generally organized and neat, except for when it comes to all paperwork. Finally, I love how you took up drawing and art again. I am trying to do the same too.
Thanks so much for sharing some of your personal thoughts and habits from your life.
xoxo
Have a fabulous week sweetie!
Well, nice to meet you! Congratulations on the award as well - it is very stylish here!
Post a Comment