Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Where I Blog

I had been wanting to do a post about my little temporary make-shift office next, and then lo and behold...I noticed that Julia from Hooked On Houses had done a post last week called "Where I Blog" so I checked it out and found that the blog Centsational Girl was having a "Where Do You Blog? Party and that Julia's post was the first party participant. Well, I'm so late to the game as the party is ending in one hour but I'm giving it a go!

We moved into our new house pretty much furnitureless and for the first few days of living here, our computer was on the floor...not fun! So I decided to get our wonderful old enamel table out of storage and use it as a temporary desk. My father-in-law grew up with this table in Minnesota and Mr. 24 grew up with it also. I had found the little white bookshelf in an antique mall for twenty dollars about ten years ago and decided to bring that out of storage too. Notice the little tiny lump of blanket at the bottom of the picture above?

Well, that's Miss. Ginger...she didn't want her picture taken. She's our little surrogate Doxie and we love her! She gets to hang out at our house just about everyday and the office is her favorite space (plus, her treat drawer is in here).

One thing about using an enamel table for a desk that I didn't anticipate was that the mouse signal doesn't work through the enamel! So whenever I use the mouse, I have to place it and the mouse pad on my leg...it's getting kind of old...and who knows what those signals are doing to my leg!





These dahlia's and hydrangea's were cut from our *garden* (I mean, jungle). Most of my vases are in storage still so I just grabbed a storage jar and used it instead.

My Jane Austen action figure inspires me to focus and write...and reminds me when it's time for tea.

The aforementioned father-in-law restores these vintage metal chairs and this little one was one that he gifted to us...isn't it adorable. He's working on two larger ones for us at the moment.

Not only is this room our (my) office...it's also my art/creative space where I make cards for a couple of shops in the area. Finishing up the house had put the card making on hold for a bit but I'm trying to get it up and running again now. Also, what you don't see in the room are all of the art supplies I use to teach my classes and camps...they're all piled up in the middle of the room (along with a few unpacked boxes) and shooting around it all was a tricky!








This next picture is for dear Pam from Red Ticking...thinking of you sweetie, and for the amazing Dennice from Fringe...I spy a little something you sent me D!! ;)




Below is Miss. Ginger's treat drawer and some fabulous art done by our dear neighbor Kaitlyn Elizabeth when she was about six years old...she just started her senior year today and my heart is a bit emotional about it...love you KK!

Okay...I have five minutes to try to link this up and I've never done that before...chow and thanks so much for visiting my world!



*Okay...I'm back...and I totally missed it by SECONDS! I can't believe it...oh well, at least I have the post...trying not to be to deflated, and trying not to be too irked that I was pulled away for a few minutes...and trying to breath...that was intense...I just have to say my favorite word for times like this...Fooey! Good thing I bought some Easy Now tea today...think I'll make a cup! ;)

17 comments:

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Too bad you missed the party--I'm surprised it was only open for such a short time! I love your red desk and chair. Who knew a mouse wouldn't work with enamel?!

I love that you have the Jane Austen action figure. I've got her in my office, too, hanging out on the bookshelves. My daughter has played with her so much that the pen broke off.

Catherine said...

HI Jessica,
What a great little window into your very creative world! And love your special momentos of Jane Austen, quotes and pictures. It's wonderful to have those inspirations visible to enjoy day to day. OH, and love the color of the walls and all those beautiful big windows!
Happy almost weekend - we're having some warm temperatures for a few days and then it's back to feeling like fall.
xoTrina

A Lasting First Impression said...

Lovely post sis, I am sorry you missed the linky party! Next time! I love how your space photographs...All of your creative spaces that are only going to get better with time! Love you, and loved seeing you today! Thanks for letting us drop by!

24 Corners said...

Julia~ I love that you have a Jane too! Children are always drawn to her...it's a great opportunity to introduce them to her. so far, mine is still in one piece!

Hi Trina~ Being surrounded by inspiration is such a nessecity for me...keeps me, well...inspired! ;)
Happy almost weekend to you too, we're going to be enjoying the same warmth...so nice!
xo

Em~ Thanks, and as you said...next time! Your visit was the highlight of my day...so glad it happened...you and the boys made for a "joyful" day...thank you so much!!! :D xo

red ticking said...

THE BLUE READERS RIGHT???? you are sooo adorable... when can we go for coffee???? xoxo

24 Corners said...

Pam~ YES!!! :) Coffee sounds great...lets figure out a time & place...time to email!!! xo

dovecote Decor said...

Winston-Salem people have a soft spot in our hearts for Maya. We all need our Ateliers, and yours is on its way. I'm feeling bossy, we have to find you lots of well priced tall book shelves. They are the secret to the well appointed Studio, girl cave. They hold mountains of stuff--on the shelves, in baskets on the shelves, and on top! I've got three, nice looking ones in my office that aren't gorgeous, but, pretty good for $250. 00 each. It is part library, office, breakfast room, laundry folding area, mud-room. I live in it more than my bed-room!!
Best,
Liz

Dennice {Fringe} said...

Awww, you little lovebug! It made me so happy to see the beach rock sitting there! I love your "blog" room. It's significant when a room is filled with loved items. That's exactly what your room is...I love the red desk with all the history behind it, the red chair your father-in-law schnazzed up...and all the tidbits and treasures.

Plus, you know how I feel about flowers gathered from your yard sitting in all their splendor on your desk, right? :)

Much love!
xo

24 Corners said...

D...look all the way to the left of the beach rock...it's kind of tricky to see, it's attached to the metal box! :)
And thanks for your sweet comment!! xo

Dennice {Fringe} said...

Oh my goodness! I see it! The fringe button. You little wiffit...tricky :)

Sending you an extra hug!
xoxoxo

24 Corners said...

You are sooo correct...ding ding ding! Thanks for the extra big hug...always can use those!

What's a wiffit? Sounds cute...and maybe a little mischevious! ;)

pve design said...

Nice spot! Love your little helper and the sweet figurine!
pve

Karena said...

Jessica, your space is darling I love the reds in the room and I had no idea how creative you are!! I missed the Opportunity as well, have enjoyed seeing the other bloggers and how they like to work!

Karena
Art by Karena

Hood Canal Gal said...

Love your space and the color of your walls! Isn't is great having your own little spot to blog and creat!? I love mine too.
Thanks for stopping by and sending happy b-day wishes my little Emma Grace.

Megan

24 Corners said...

PVE, Karena, and Megan...thank you! I know there are many who would *love* to see your special spaces too...what do ya say?! ;)

Sarah Greenman said...

Love your creative space! You've inspired me! I'm going to go tidy up my little corner and take some photos. xo

24 Corners said...

Hi Sarah! Can't wait to see your creative corner, love that you stopped by! xo