What enamors me most about this lovely coffee/tea pot is that it was obviously very well used. The crazing, with it's beautiful coffee or tea staining, tells a story that I would love to know more about...who used it so often, what time of day, and where did they keep it when not in use. According to the marking on the bottom, it was made by T & R Boote, a pottery in England that made Ironstone in the 1800's. This particular mark dates the pot to around 1880, a very good time in history for the creation of "poor man's china".
How I wish it could speak....though the crazing does seem to speak volumes, in it's own aged, lovely, well used way.
20 comments:
Great photo! It looks like that piece got a ton of use back in the day. Wonderful that its story can continue on with you :)
Wonderful! I like that you wonder about the stories behind the item. Me too. :) Kit
I know, just imagine the conversations that sweet old teapot heard throughout the years! It's a beautiful piece, so elegant and well-loved.
Have a really great fall weekend Jessica!
xoTrina
would that we all could claim to be 'well-used".
Lovely post Jessica...glad you joined Raz's photo gang!
Wow, if only it could speak I would love to know it's story, but it's kinda more fun to imagine too! I love you pic, the stain actually seems to add to it's beauty, thanks for sharing!
Welcome to the photo challenge! Your teapot has fabulous patina. ♥Olive
Welcome tot he photo challenge gang is right!
Crazing, patina, character..it's all good
Suzan
Love your picture and the your story behind the lovely ironstone piece. I do just as you and often wonder what stories a piece or place could tell. It's the best part about looking at something aged - person, place or thing.
I do love things with history!
Pearl
I do love ironstone. I love how you captured the crackled finish....and our imagination with who used this beautiful teapot....where has it been.....
Thank you for joining us this week.
I love it. Understated, well and lovingly used.
Maybe I will send Razmataz a photo of my face :)
Thank you all...so happy that you also found the pot's age and patina as beautiful as I did! It was wonderful to play along and make so many wonderful new friends...Raz, a special thanks to you for hosting! xo Jessica
I'll bet so many intimate conversations were shared in that tea/coffee pot's presence!
Have a Great Weekend!
Hi J! Your photo is perfect, capturing the history of such a beautiful piece. Both my parents didn't fancy old pieces or antiques. Odd that I turned out to be just as you, valuing older, much loved objects. I too wonder of their history & whose home it occupied before mine. Now if I'd only learn to appreciate the line & cracks on my own-self!! Wishing you a beautiful Seattle weekend. My youngest Em is in Seattle today shopping & lunching with her BFF from Snohomish. If what I read it true, it's a sunny day?! Hugs to you xo xo
Patina seems to give inanimate objects soul I always think. They become the holders of hidden stories and histories. Lovely! x
Deb~ Em was here on the most perfect of days! Clear blue skies, not a single cloud & warm! This morning...torrential rains! We have the craziest weather here, we're so confused!
My mom's taste has always been very contemporary...maybe that's why I love and feel a continual need to discover the past and it's beauty. Thanks for the hugs...xoxo
Love it!! Thank you so much for your sweet comment!
xo
E+J
ironstone.... bring it on... the more crazing and staining the better... LOVE THIS xx
Beautiful!
Do you hear the echoes of other tea parties when you take off the lid?
Beautiful. I love Ironstone.
Post a Comment