Friday, March 9, 2012

Thinking Of Japan

It's hard to believe that one year has passed since Japan was struck by the massive earthquake and tsunami that claimed so many lives and devastated that gracious and beautiful country. They are still trying to rebuild, stay hopeful, and move forward, despite the enormous obstacles that still loom before them.

I've admired their calm strength very much and pray that healing continues to envelop their land and hearts.

Here at 24C, things have been quite challenging as of late, and I apologize for the lack of posts because of it. The past five and a half years for us have been filled with much chaos and strife, not on the scale of course of what Japan has had to endure, but extremely stressful none the less. In the next month or so, we're hoping to finally have closure to several challenging situations, one being the flooding that took place over a year and a half ago now. It's just the tip of the proverbial iceberg really though...and we're starting to feel quite worn down by it all now.

So I'm looking towards the strength of those who have faced desperate trials such as the Japanese (as well as many others), and I'm also continuing to look up, as I believe that when we have nothing left to pull up from the depths of our souls, it must and can, come down to us from above.




"I try to avoid looking forward or backward, and try to keep looking upward."
~ Charlotte Bronte


(all images Dover Publications)

22 comments:

Purple Flowers said...

Things will get better. Repeat a positive mantra everyday, and that will make you feel better. I know it all will improve for you...soon.

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Jessica:
We so totally endorse all that you say here about the plight of the people of Japan who, even one year on, require our continued thoughts and prayers as they rebuild their lives.

On a more personal note, we are so very sorry to learn of the distress, worry and anxiety which you have been facing in recent times and do so hope that the way forward may, with God's help, become clearer for you. From what we do know of you, you can draw on enormous energy and a very creative spirit as well as a huge sense of optimism [look at your belief in your pupils] and we do so pray that these will give you support in the months ahead. You are not alone.

Lynne said...

Beautiful pictures of Japan with tender caring thoughts of what they have endured. Such a quiet, humble, gracious way they have . . . under such strife. I am saddened to learn of your stress and past months. I will be keeping you in my caring . . . I wish I knew more of how to ease your days . . .

Unknown said...

I keep writing this of late Jessica:
When you are going through hell...keep going. (Churchill)
it really is the only thing to do.
Thinking about my dear Japan today too.

24 Corners said...

PurpleFlowers~ Thank you for your 'positive' idea and sentiment...I will try to find a thought that will lend itself to repeating. xo

Jane&Lance~ I have tears welling from reading your comment, thank you so very much. Yes, clarity would be nice now, and I pray for God's special way of touching eyes to help in recieving some, maybe even a special pair of holy glasses! ;)
My students, art, and teaching do provide such a blessing of an escape, and help tremendously in keeping my spirits up and focused on other, more joyful pursuits...they have sustained me greatly, as have my friendships, formed through this marvelous medium...again, thank you. xo

Lynne~ Your sweet comment has 'eased my days' to no end, I'm so very touched...thank you dear heart! xo

Jacqueline~ I think this will be the positive mantra that Purple Flowers suggested I repeat daily...Churchill's words of strength and power will do me much good...thank you, though I'm sorry that you need to be repeating such a quote yourself these days, thoughts are with you as well J!
I pray that Japan feels all the love and support that still surrounds it by those who care so much...I believe they do. xo

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Dear Jessica,
I am so sorry to hear of your difficulties and really do hope that you will see the light at the end of the tunnel soon.
When we hear of tradegies of Japanese Tsunami proportions, it really does put our own troubles into perspective although, they are still a worry to you whatever is going on in the rest of the world. Here's to happier and more stable times ahead for you in the coming year. Much love. XXXX

24 Corners said...

Jacqueline@HOME~ I love what you said about 'stable times ahead'...it has been a very long time since 'stability' was part of the vocabulary here...thank you, it will added to my 'posive mantra' and prayers! ♥

Ivy Lane said...

Spring ahead my dear! We are ALL pulling for you! I have found in times of strife ... and when frustration sets in... patience is key..breathe.. it will all work itself out....... Thanks for sharing re: Japan... I shall light a candle tonight for their country....

24 Corners said...

Ivy Lane~ It's a comfort to know that I'm surrounded by such wonderful, uplifting, and encouraging friends...thank you love...I'll remember that, and I will also remember to breath as well, good advice...patience, we're working on that this very moment! Hugs to you...xoxo

Unknown said...

Love you posters:)

Yes, how will things be? In time better, but it will take time. Personally I'm glad friends over there are fine, but so many people...orphans, lives torn apart having to be rebuilt....

helen tilston said...

Hello Jessica

I am sorry you are living with unresolved issues and frustrations.I will keep you in my prayers too. It is unimaginable what happened in Japan and my heart goes out to those gentle, disciplined and good living people. May the sun shine on them and may their lives glow again.
Like you, Jessica I find such comfort and joy in the friendships and support of bloggers.
To a great week

Helenxx

Anonymous said...

What gorgeous artwork, however it is so sad that such a horrific event still causes so much pain and heartache one year on. I really hope 2012 is a more positive year for you too. Fifi

24 Corners said...

Helen~ Thank you for your prayers, they are so appreciated, as is 'your blog friendship'! Your sentiments about Japan were beautiful and very touching...I pray the same for them. xo

Fifi B~ Japanese artwork has always been one of my favorites...so simple and beautiful. I wonder if through this tragedy, we'll see a different type of art from there souls, one that expresses what they've gone through.
And thank you for your good wishes, I'm in love with the word 'positive' lately! xo

24 Corners said...

Linnea~ It's unfathomable what the survivors are endurining...many still are living in temp homes...we need more stories such as the one that you shared to stay informed of it all. Time is a great healer though...as are continued prayers, with genuine help and care. xo

Pinecone Camp said...

It was an incredible tragedy, and it still is. They need so much help putting back together entire cities that were destroyed, not to mention families that were ripped apart.
Thanks for the lovely post.

red ticking said...

thank you for the reminder... simply cannot believe how quickly time passes... xo

A Perfect Gray said...

thinking of you, dear one. and wishing that the days ahead are filled with joy! donna

24 Corners said...

Pinecone Camp~ Thank you for your heartfelt comment! It will take so many years to even begin to show some semblance of true recovery in Japan, and as you alluded to, for many families, that will never happen due to the losses they endured...but I have faith that they will move forward in their adversity and somewhat heal. ♥

Red Ticking~ I get dizzy sometimes by how fast time is flying by...wasn't it just the other day we were all at your shop celebrating each other and Christmas??? I'm dizzy again. Miss you...xoxo

Donna~ Thank you so much, your kind thoughts are very sweet to me, and very comforting. xoxo

Elizabeth Rose Stanton said...

Good luck with EVERYTHING, dear blog friend. <3

24 Corners said...

Elizabeth Rose~ Thank you. ♥

Karena said...

Jessica you are being very strong. I know a lot of our troubles aren't on the scale and magnitude of things like Tsunamis; however nonetheless they can be just as devastating. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

If you want,come and join my new Fashion Giveaway from Fresh Produce!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Rabbit Town Art said...

Things will definitely get better and I am hoping all the best for you and Mr 24.