Friday, February 24, 2012

Paperwhites To The Rescue

After a teasing, brief glimpse of early warm and spring-like weather, it seems that the wintry wet and gray mantle we normally wear this time of year has settled itself around our shoulders, and has decided it's going to stay for a while...with a bit of possible snow too, I might add!

So needless to say, I was thrilled when I came across these lovely Paperwhite Bulbs at our local nursery. They were left over from the holidays and in need of rescuing...and being that I felt in need some rescuing as well, they came home with me...and at a very good price I might add...half off to be exact!

Once we came home, I had to figure out what to place the bulbs in, as my one true bulb pot (above) happens to be filled with rocks at the moment, and I didn't really feel like finding another home for them just then. So after a bit of hunting around, I decided to use my little Red Ticking honeycomb vessels for two of the bulbs (I only purchases four)...

(Look how much the bulbs had grown after only two days!)

And a little oval (of course) glass pudding bowl that I'd very much been wanting use for a while now...this was the perfect opportunity!

And being that it *is* a pudding bowl...the most logical place for the bowl and bulbs to hang out was the kitchen...on the window sill.

The other bulbs are being enjoyed in the living room.

They're hanging out where the TV is supposed to go eventually...but personally, and please don't tell Mr. 24 this...I'd much rather turn this space into a mini conservatory...it would be so much nicer than a big, black, shiny rectangle...don't you think?! I might just have to try it while I have the chance, because when the next round of construction is over, I'm sure the rectangle will be sure to make it's presence known...so I think conservatory it will be...for now at least!

See....much prettier than a big, dark rectangle.

In the kitchen, there actually is a little conservatory corner of sorts...and the blooms felt instantly right at home there. They were such a welcomed, flowery, addition to all the current greenery.

It always amazes me how quickly these flowers grow, and their scent gets sweeter and sweeter with each passing moment...how could I only have bought four?! Lesson learned.

If you haven't given these easy to grow, fast blooming, fragrant beauties a try yet...please do. I know they're very popular during the holidays, but this time of year, when spring is so close you can almost taste it, yet still far enough away to wonder if it will ever arrive, Paperwhites will help to ease the gray gap, and be a lovely harbinger of the flowery lushness that really, truly is... just around the corner!

13 comments:

The enchanted home said...

Love them and their scent is intoxicating!! Love yours..enjoy them!

Purple Flowers said...

They look as lovely in your "conservatory" as they do in your kitchen. So pretty!

Lynne said...

The fragrance is delicious. Love your window greenery garden . . . and yes, the conservatory gets a vote instead of the "black rectangle."

Sarah Greenman said...

Mine popped up last week. Aren't they lovely?

LPC said...

These are one of the few things still on my Bucket List:). BTW, is there any way you can turn off the new, very difficult, CAPTACHA? I have such trouble with 2 words....

24 Corners said...

Enchanted...I could be surrounded their scent all day long! xo

PurpleFlowers...Thank you! I've always wanted to have a conservatory, this might be the closest I ever get. ;)

Lynne...Thank you for the conservatory vote, I'm just dreading having the tv there, along with it's little speaker friends. Thank heavens for the little kitchen corner. xo

LaMaison...They're such a treat, and yes, so lovely! Enjoy yours, must be fun for the boys to watch, so happy you stopped by! :)

LPC...Oh by all means get that one crossed off, they're so easy and now's a great time of year to give them a go.

Thank you for hanging in there with the new word verification...I can't stand it actually, but the instant I turned it off (during my last post), some awful, spammy comments showed up, so I guess it's doing it's job, but it's a terrible pain none the less. Trying to figure out what to do now...might have to go with Comment Moderation, although I don't always have access to email...sigh!
xo J~

Yvette said...

Just love everything about what you're doing with your house. Those bookcases are to die for.

Love the juxtaposition of the 'paperwhites' against the splendid old window. (I'm wondering where that will eventually wind up.)

A conservatory? I like it. :)

Elizabeth Rose Stanton said...

All so beautiful. I like your conservatories :)-- and the sight of your pretty paperwhites makes me yearn for spring. I'd BETTER NOT snow!!

24 Corners said...

Yvette...Thank you so much, I wonder where the window will end up too, I think it looks good where it is and makes for the perfect conservatory backdrop! ;)

Elizabeth...Thank you, I'm yearning for spring too! Saw my first clump of daffodils...so I know we're close! No more snow is my new motto, we deserve a warm spring and a hot summer after last year...trying to stay positive! xo

Kit said...

They look so lovely! And I love your stained glass window too! Kit

helen tilston said...

Hello Jessica

How beautiful and the fragrance is intoxicating. I agree with you on not wanting a tv in that beautiful space. I still like to hide the TV in a armour.We seldom watch it.

Enjoy your weekend

Helebxx

quintessence said...

Just love paperwhites - lucky you to be able to extend the season!

Chocolate Cookies & Candies said...

Oh wow! I love your white interior with the plants as the centerpiece. Your kitchen and lounge look like they belong in an interior magazine!