One of our summer camp themes this year is called Road Trip USA. We're going to take the kids on an imaginary road trip across the states from one end to the other...and these images completely captured the feeling I want the students to experience on our journey.A good old fashioned Smokey the Bear type of trip...with road side diners, vintage gas pumps, and souvenir shops...at least for part of it anyway.
So I was absolutely thrilled when I came across artist Steve Lowtwait's website Camp Steve! His artwork has that 'Mayberry' feel to it and gave me so much inspiration I could hardly stand it. Don't they bring back fond, idealistic memories of what a family road trip would have been like? Let's hope I can impart a little bit of this freshly made nostalgia into our students, I'd love for them to experience all of the freedom and fun the road trips of yesteryear had to offer, and who knows...maybe when they grow up, that will be the kind of vacation their hearts will desire, I know mine does.Side Note- We're also going to be incorporating Van Gogh/Leone Ardo & George Rodrigue into this road trip...I wonder how they felt about car games and souvenir shops?!
16 comments:
What a great theme...it will be interesting to see what your students come up with. Road trips certainly conjure up some wonderful images, but none better than these! I really love the "Mayberry" feel too! My sister and I always wanted to stop at Stucky's on family road trips for tacky souvenirs. Does anyone remember Stucky's with their low roofs and turquoise color?
These are great! Yes they do stir up memories of old fashioned camping trips. This is such a clever idea, look forward to hearing more!
WOW, when I saw Estes Park CO, reminded me of the wonderful camping vacations our family had there when I was a child.....those were wonderful days, wonderful memories.
What a fun exercise and will certainly get imaginations going.
Thanks for this thought
LOVE the first picture! I am going to have to check out his site. Have fun with this project...you are so creative!
Hello Jessica:
What a most imaginative idea and a highly original way into a new project. With such a theme the students will have the scope to express and create their own, doubtless widely differing, approaches whilst remaining true to a core idea.
And, additionally, there is a considerable amount of 'history' thrown in for good measure. The first poster you show is simply perfect!
Annie...I'm not familiar with Stucky's, sounds like the perfect spot to pick up a few statuette's and keychains though...I need to google it, want to see that turquoise! :)
Enchanted (I love calling you that!)...Thank you, I'll post some pic's when we've 'come back' from our trip. ;)
From Me To Thee...Thank you for visiting! I love that you actually camped at Estes, how very cool! I'm sure the memories are special...looks like a beautiful place. xo
Helen...I can't wait to see where their imaginations take us on this trip, it's always a surprise! xo
Lakeshore...You're so sweet, thank you! I know you'll love the site, I'd love to have one of his posters! xo
Jane&Lance...You're so right! The projects we do are really just there to jump start *their* creative process. As I mentioned to Helen, seeing what their imaginations come up with is the best part! Also, we love introducing them to different artists and their works, history and all! There's always fascinating stories attached to these geniuses which the children love hearing about...last year it was Henri Rousseau, wonderful story there! xo
Oh Jessica, I wish my children were young and they could come to your summer camp. What fun they would of had and would of learned so much. 3 of my 4 are very artistic and they would of loved every second of your guidance and instruction. Steve's art is perfectly described as 'Mayberry'. I almost see Opie coming down the dirt lane with his fishing pool & Barnie locking up Otis one more time for being drunk! I cannot wait to read/see what your students come up with. Have a glorious rest of this sunny week. I think summer has hit Seattle! Hopefully Miss Ginger has recovered from the 4th. Bye the way, I bet you were pretty darn cute in your tee-pee camp T?!! XO Deb
I'm delighted to discover Camp Steve, idyllic and innocent and everything the world should be. What a great idea you have for a summer camp theme - I wish I were there with ponytails in my hair, short skirt and yellow canvas shoes, ready for the great exciting future.
I love these vintage road trip illustrations! They remind me of all the stories my mom told me about her trips as a child.
Unfortunately, they don't remind me of any of my childhood road trips, as those tended to be more in the Griswald nature...sigh.
So glad I stumbed upon your blog! :)
I love these retro illustrations. We always had beach trips complete with sand in our sarnies.
Deb...You're beyond sweet! I would've loved to have had your kids in my class...and you as well!! You could've been my helper, always need one of those and you'd have been a blast!!
I ♥ Opie...xoxo
Mise...You've expressed Steve's art perfectly...that's just the image I want to get across to my students, they seem to see little of that idyllic innocence now a days...it would do them good I think. And yes, please come, with your girls of course...you already have the perfect outfit picked out...now you just need a sack lunch, and your ready! (love the ideas of yellow canvas sneakers!) ;)
Jennifer...So happy you stumbled...it's nice to meet you! You cracked me up with visions of the Griswald's...poor thing, but I must get those images out of my head before I get to camp, otherwise who knows what sort of mayhem will transpire! xo
Bourbon&Pearls...So thrilled you visited! A beach vacation is nothing without 'sand in your sarnies' (and in everything else as well)! xo
What a great way to get the creative juices of your class flowing. Love the images!!
I just love this idea to inspire your art students. Your post revived my own personal memories of our family crossing the country in the car in the summer 1965, counting license plates and looking forward to a swim in the pool at the end of the day at the Holiday Inn.
Great post and it certainly reminds me of the road trips I used to have with my family. Hope that your students are inspired and will come up with something great. Thank you so much for passing by my blog and your kind words. I really do appreciate it. Are you still baking? I hope so.
Designchic...What the students come up with always gets my creative juices flowing too...it's a win-win! :)
Elizabeth...So great that you and your family crossed the country! We only toodled around California...but it was still fun. Love the Holiday Inn image in my head, they were different back in the sixties. IHOP's come to mind now too...going there was a treat on road trips,they seemed different back then as well! Fun memories...xo
Rabbit Town...I haven't had much time for baking lately sorry to say...pre-summer camp time is always so busy, once we're on our way it's smooth sailing...or driving I should say, hope to bake then! xo
Post a Comment