Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Gift Of My Family

Hello all...hope the New Year is treating you well and that it's off to a wonderful start! 24 corners seems to be turning into a 'holiday blog', and I realized that if I didn't post in the very near future, my next two posts would be for Valentine's Day and Easter, and we can't have that, not that there's anything wrong with Holiday Blogs, I just never intended for this one to be one!
Question: How do those of you that post regularly manage it..when do you post? Are you working on your blog daily...even when life, as well as one's 'self', is filled to the brim? Do you need to 'feel' like posting before it happens, or do you just post regardless? I'd really love to hear from everyone on this topic and learn any tricks of the trade, so to speak...I'd be most grateful.
 
For me, there has been one new, very enjoyable task that has been occupying my time as of late, and I've actually become quite obsessive about it. You see my Aunt, who is sitting on the pony above with my Dad, her brother, gave to me on Christmas day several boxes containing my history...my lineage...my family...and I haven't been able to stop getting to know them since.  
This incredible 'gift', and the special discoveries it brought with it actually ended up taking over my life, and my dining room these past few weeks. Initially I had intended to slowly go through the boxes, steadily organizing their contents as I went along, and manage the inevitable clutter that such an undertaking could produce...but as I started making one amazing (and very special) discovery after another, all sense of going through these boxes in an orderly fashion flew out the window as I became obssesed with discovering and 'meeting' more and more of my relatives, and their dearest friends. It all turned into a bit of a frenzy really, of the best kind of course...I just couldn't stop!
 My Christmassy buffet went from this...
To this, in only a few short hours...which then turned into days and days of continual discovery and wonderment...along with complete joy!
I was in absolute heaven meeting so many relatives of a bygone era, as well as getting reaquainted with many beloved, long gone family members that I hadn't seen since I was a little girl, but who were a big part of my life when I was very young.
Learning their amazing stories as I pieced together the pictorial puzzles of their lives, became such a thrilling task...and continues to be so as we speak.
A wonderful surprise was that there happened to be more than pictures in these boxes...
 
There was a lovely, now very fragile scrapbook that my Grandmother's sisters (she had five) made as a gift for her, for her twentieth birthday. Here they are below, minus the youngest Lillian, who I learned sadly passed away in 1944.  
My Grandmother Florence is the tall one in the middle, everyone called her Sis...all but one had nicknames actually...on the right (our right) is Ethel, who was called Ed (she's turned out to be a hoot, I love her!), Frances -Frankie is on the left, Helen (she for some reason just stayed Helen) is sitting on the left, and Ruth - Cutie (fitting don't you think?) sits on the right. My Great Aunts, how I wish I had met them...but I'm so thankful to have the opportunity of knowing them now.
Another treasure of a find was my Grandmother's knitting needles and the last project she was working on before she passed away.
I had been reading a letter from one of my Grandmother's nieces who was thanking Flo for the lovely sweater she had knitted her for Christmas,  when all of a sudden, I remembered that my Grandma was always knitting...and with very shiny, pretty needles too. As a little girl I loved those needles, they were pastely shades of pale green, blue...and pink! Well, I continued looking through the box that the letters came out of, and lo and behold...there they were, her pretty pink knitting needles! I had to sit down. Memories came flooding back and my heart did a few somersaults...it was such a special find. I felt four again.
Here's Grandma Florence looking all snazzy...she had the most beautiful clothes, always so classy and sharp, quite put together but never fussy. She even looked snazzy in her house dresses, which she didn't seem to be in very often as she was a working gal. I think the picture above was taken in the late thirties, such great clothing back then.
Being that Grandma was pretty tall, she always wore flats. There's quite a few pictures of her wearing oxfords with her dresses...it's pretty cute.  
To handle all of the memories and what-nots, Mr. 24 brought home an extra long table from his office and we set it up in my studio/office...this endeavor forced me into making room for it, which entailed clearing away the piles of boxes that had formed an island in the middle of the room since our move in two years ago. The above photo was taken about half way through the clearing out process...files, my art stuff, tile, paint samples, books...you name it, it was there.
Now it's all scattered around the room, in a semi 'organized', seperate pile fashion...with each pile awaiting it's proper spot to call home. It really needed to happen, and I thank my thoughtful 'family' for graciously forcing me into making it happen!  
Here's the nice new clean table...with a $2.00 party store plastic table cloth I puchased to cover the lovely faux wood graining.
And here is the 'first' round of sortings...
Which allowed for us having our dining table back...
But there's still a few more piles to contend with...I think another table, or two might be in order.
So this is what I'll be doing in my spare time...organizing and trying to honor a now cherished dynasty...and my office of course (what a can of worms!).
I hope you won't mind joining me on this new journey every once in a while...I'd love to share it with you as I learn more about these long ago loved ones and the interesting lives they led, such as those of the gentlemen you see above...the grand patriarchs of the family on my Grandpa's side, who came to the states at the turn of the century from Syria! I think the one on the left is my Great Grandpa...still trying to figure out who's who.
Above you see Great Uncle Phil, Aunt Marge, and my Grandpa Amos...they were very close and seemed to have loads of fun together, along with other family & friends. Phil and Marge had quite the love story...he looks pretty dashing and gangstery (they lived in Chicago after all!) in his white fedora and scarf...I don't believe he was in 'the business' though, no Capone connections have turned up as of yet.
I finally learned that these little ones are l-r, my Grandpa, his little brother Harry, and his big sister Helen...this was before Phil was born. Love Helen's big bow, she looks a bit worried though...maybe the bow was starting to teeter a bit and she was trying to hold really still...and Grandpa's in a little dress, which I learned little boys wore until they were old enough to wear short-pants...wonder what age that was?
And last but not least...for now, this is my Grandma Flo and her two best friends...Emma's in the middle and Sadella's on the right. At first I thought they were two of her sisters because she's in so many pictures with them, but it turns out they just  had tons of adventures together and documented all the fun. As you can see, this adventure happened in 1937...again, great clothes!
I've found a few pictures of Sadella as an extra on a movie set...a big, biblical production, with temples, enormous golden cows, and towering movie lights. I'd love to know which movie it and if she ended up in any others. Another exciting mystery to solve, and adventure into the past to embark upon...happily, one of many!
 
Thanks for letting me share my family with you...and remember, if you feel so inclined...please let me know how you manage your posting times and duties...when your favorite time to write is, do you piece the posts together or go for it all in one sitting, or both...I'd really love to know so I can get a handle on not becoming a 'holiday blog'. ;)
 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

My goodness, haven't you been busy! I really do love your kitchen, that's exactly what I want some day.
The pics of your grandmother are wonderful, I have never set eyes on any of my grandparents, not even in photographic form.

I blog twice a week now and I do find it hard work, maybe I'm not cut out for it, but I do seem to always be thinking " what on earth can I blog about out?" and then there are pics and what to write in the piece, so ...probably no help at all there!

Unknown said...

How great is that? Old pictures are so much fun.

Lovely hearing from you :)))))))

Regards, Linnea

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Jessica:
How absolutely thrilling all of this is. We are so excited for you and do so hope that you will use these wonderful archives as a theme to which you will return in future posts. And how splendid that you have now transferred everything to your work room where you will be able to continue to examine and sort and catalogue at a more leisurely pace having freed up the dining table.

Only the other day we had an email from the curator of a small museum who had tracked us down through our blog and saying that an exhibition was to be mounted of our family's factory, about which we posted, and asking if we could lend material. These things are such fun.

As to blogging, we seldom post more than once in about 8 to 10 days, find it very hard, but enjoyable, work answering comments and commenting on the posts of others. We always try to comment on the post of anyone who has been kind enough to leave a comment with us as we think of that, apart from being interesting, as a common courtesy. Each day we do go through our blog roll, usually first thing in the morning, lapsing occasionally at weekends, in a fairly disciplined and ordered way, noting what we have done and where we are at. But there are the two of us and, although some people do not recognize this, we do share all the activities connected with the blog.

Sometimes, of course, one just needs a break! As for material, we are never without things we wish to write about. The problem is that they are constantly mounting up and can, if left too long, become, or so we feel, dated. But at the end of the day we write to please ourselves and for our own records.

Purple Flowers said...

Hi Jessica: Your family has made me so excited and interested to learn more about them. I absolutely love b&w photos and all that they represent. The possibilities are endless. Keep posting when you can; my eyes were glued to the monitor. I think the facial expressions, clothing, hair styles, etc. contribute to stories that are fascinating.

At one time last year, I stopped blogging. It had become a "pressure" of sorts as to what should I write about. I resumed again around the holidays. I wanted to catch up with what my blogger friends were doing. I am attempting to write once every two weeks, if possible. I enjoy writing, which would make you think I would write often, but sometimes I can't find things to write about. The "Artful Healing" was an article I came across when I was searching the current exhibits for the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. It just happened.

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I always look forward to seeing your name and what you have to say. You must be like a kid in a candy shop with the gifts you have just received. Enjoy looking through them and piecing together your heritage. You're very fortunate to have this experience! Take Care.

Lynne said...

I enjoyed looking with you of photos of your family and learning "bits and pieces." The photos and momentoes become such treasures in the memory bank don't they? Holding a picture in our hand and reading something about it is somewhat like a blogging of the twenties/thirties. I hope you continue to enjoy learning and seeing your family in picture.

Blogging is an interesting art. Different for each of us, yet unique as we journey on with it all. In the beginning I found myself trying to conform to a regime of what "I thought it was supposed to be.". It wasn't long before I knew my blog had to be about "me", . . . in creation, design, presentation. I have made changes along the way . . . Adjusted my sails so to speak . . . and now I create, write, post when the inspiration moves me. Example would be this past week . . . I found myself posting every day because we had been wrapped in glorious, powdery, snow of white. I was filled with photographs which I wanted to share and inspiration just seem to flow from me.

Then there are times when days pass by and I am posting nothing. Suddenly something comes to mind and I am off flying again. There is pressure sometimes in all of that . . . The would of, should of, could of's creep in . . . especially as I look and read at others. Blogging for me isn't just creating a post, it is also the connecting with others . . .Reading, looking at what others have going on in their lives and commenting, (writing) back to them. Correspondence in a new form becomes a large part of blogging for me. I have met wonderful friends . . . and I enjoy staying connected. Truthfully, that has become a sometimes daunting task and a pressure for me.

So I am continually trying to, "find my way" through this art of the blog. I think that has to be the answer for each of us. I treat this as a friendship, with a togetherness, an honesty and with boundaries as well. Of late I seem to have gone back to what brought me here in the first place . . . and that is to create . . . write and share.

I so enjoy each time I hear from you, to see pictures of your gorgeous home and setting, hear about the children you teach, and their art . . . and always to hear about the ups and downs of your life.

A connection indeed and a desire to visit more and learn more about you and "24 corners!"

Ivy Lane said...

Ahhhh such wonderful treasures you have! It is going to be so much fun for you to pull back the layers of your family and discover them! I have a few boxes of pictures, letters, cards from my grandparents and their extended families..I tend to pull them out around the holidays and re-visit them...

As for blogging... I wish to have more time to spend on posting... I blog maybe 1-2 times a month... try to post things that people may connect to.... I thank you for stopping by and commenting...always look forward to it..Thank you for the heads up on the turquoise chairs..I checked them out on One King's Lane...you are so thoughtful!

A Perfect Gray said...

oh, what a wonderful treat, and how much fun! "great uncle phil" looks to be quite the charmer.

ah, blogging constantly takes so much work. you are wise to invest time in the things that make you happiest!

loved this post...donna

LPC said...

What a wonderful set of photos, and characters!

And I set myself a schedule, Saturday, plus two other days during the week. Unless I have more to say. Or, occasionally, very occasionally, less. I really try to hit the two during the week.

I write in the morning before work, do things like finding stuff at night, set up each weekday post on Sunday - at least a rudimentary draft.

It's a pretty structured approach. I vowed not to stop when I started working again, so I had to set up a schedule to follow.

24 Corners said...

Tabitha~ I'm so sorry that you haven't ever been able to see any of your grandparents, mine passed away when I was very, very young, but my memories are quite strong of them and I feel as if I knew them longer than I actually did.
The kitchen is my favorite room in the house, I'm thrilled that you like it so much.

And thanks for sharing your blogging thoughts, it seems we both view it as being a tricky business, you though manage to somehow pull it off in spades - despite the trickiness...I think you do an amazing job! xo

Linnea~ The pictures were more fun than I could have ever imagined...a fantastic surprise!

I love hearing from you too!! :))))

Jane & Lance~ It feels so special to be the one caring for 'my family' at this moment in time, I hope to do them justice in keepsaking it for future generations, and I would love to keep posting about them, it was so wonderful sharing about, I feel it honored their memories somehow.

And what great news about the museum doing an exhibit on your families factory! I remember that post very well, it was so interesting! To come from such a 'sweet' past is just wonderful...it must have been a very happy place! It's great that you have so much to contribute for the exhibit, I truly wish I could visit when the time comes...please post about it, I'll grab some toast and 'jam' and relish the read.
On posting, I run into the same conundrum as you, so many ideas, but they are lost in 'half completed post land' become the topic's time had past. I would like to get back into a morning routine of visits though, I used to love that but haven't been able to lately...and being more methodical would do me a world of good! Thank you so much for sharing about this...it's inspiring to read other's blogging habits.
All the best with gathering and sharing your delicious history...xo

Kathleen~ Your comment made me smile so much, I'm thrilled to pieces that you were 'glued to the screen'! The visuals (clothes,hair, etc...) in these pictures kept me glued too, as well as seeing my family for the first time as 'youngsters', I had only seen them in their old age, it was really like stepping back in time.

As you know, things have been a bit rough as of late, and it was nice to have happy things to post about, I think that's part of my posting problem...I never wanted to be a woe is me blog, and these treasures provided me with fodder for happy posting...another gift!

The term you used 'pressure' was perfect...that is exactly how I've felt when knowing a post was due, as well as visits...and that pressure locks me up something fierce. Plus, I need to do more one or two picture posts, that would help tremendously...it's tough though, I keep thinking of too many things I want to share and then get overwhelmed...working on that! Thanks for sharing your thoughts about it all...xo

24 Corners said...

Lynne~ I'm so glad you enjoyed seeing the pictures too...I'm hoping to keep the 'bits & pieces' coming, because I really enjoyed sharing them!
I love that you called blogging an art, that really gave me a whole new outlook and perspective on this amazing forum that we all have such an affinity for. I need to strike it seems when the inspiration hits...as Jane & Lance said, if one waits too long, the moment is past for that particular topic and lost forever (I paraphrased a bit there). It all used to be an obsession for me but life took a turn and I'm trying to get back into being obsessed again, but in a more steady way. Connecting with everyone feeds the obsession, which is wonderful, it's food that I must partake in more often! Your insights and personal thoughts were so helpful, and very sweet...thank you!! xo

Ivy Lane~ OUlling back the layers of my family is *exactly* what I've been doing...that's such a perfect description for this task, and each layer is exquisite in it's discoveries...I actually never want it to end.
Bringing out your family mementos during the holidays is an absolutey beautiful tradition... it's like having your loved ones there in a way, and honoring their memories during a very special time of the year, one when we seem to miss them most too...so sweet.
I love each and every one of your posts, it's always fun to see what's inspiring you at the moment, even if that moment is once or twice a month...I always look forward to them!
Glad you saw the chairs...crazy ironic, no? xo

Donna~ So happy you like the post...and yes, Uncle Phil does look like quite the charmer...so much nicer that calling him a gangster, but I bet gangsters could be charming too! ;)

Blogging does take a lot of work, which thankfully sometimes doesn't feel like work, other times though it does...I think because I never seem to have a good chunk of time...so I end up staying up much too late, like I'm doing this very second! (so wish I was a morning person), and then I'm pooped in the morning...have to switch it around somehow...I need my beauty sleep as well as blogging time! Thanks sharing your thoughts about it...your comment was very 'Haiku' to me...thank you! xo

LPC~ I'm so grateful that you shared your blogging schedule, the timing and flow of blogging being a bit more structured is something I would very much like to master a bit more (okay, a lot more)...reading about your commitment and thought process helps tremendously, thank you!!

Love that you called the fam 'characters'...that cracked me up because it seems to be very true!! xo

Tricia said...

Wowee what an incredible endeavor! Thanks for sharing with us. I have no advice whatsoever on the whole blogging thing as i just took a month off myself. My philosophy is to blog when I feel I have something to share. Whenever I find myself trying to force it I refrain.
Happy 2013 to you!!!
Xoxo-
T

24 Corners said...

T~ I think you actually just gave fabulous 'advice'...or maybe it was more confirmative inspiration, as it's nice to know that I'm not the only one that when trying to force posts, holds back...being excited about something is so important...so thank you, your philosophy was very helpful! :)

PS. I think this endeavor is going to become more 'endeavory' as time moves on...thank heavens I'm enjoying it so much. xo

helen tilston said...

Hello Jessica

Your project with your late Aunt's collection must be fascinating and what a beautiful way to keep her memory alive.

I also find your blog to be personal, memorable and interesting.

I try and post once a week but sometimes it can be ten days. Like your readers I also like to keep up and comment on blogs I hold dear to me.

Wishing you a weekend of joy

Helen xx

Slim Paley said...

How wonderful!
Obviously you've been having the best time tripping down Memory Lane with all your relatives-time well spent, I'd say.
I do think blogging requires a certain amount of consistency but not at the risk of putting undue pressure on yourself.
What a sense of accomplishment you'll have when you finish your project.

PS. Are you sure your uncle didn't know Al Capone?!!

24 Corners said...

Helen~ My Aunt didn't pass, thank heaven's, she just gave the boxes to me to look through, which to me was such a gift. I am going to try to keep the momories fo my beloved ancestors alive though, especially now that I've 'met them'.

Thank you for your sweet comment about my blog...so touching, and warmed my heart! And thanks for sharing about your posting habits...I suppose we all do what we can when we can. I really miss keeping up with everyone more than even my own posting...trying to find the balance! xo

Slim~ Thank you...so thrilled you've stopped by!
Hanging out with the 'new fam' has definitely been one of the best uses of time ever, loving it!
I've been feeling the pressure of the whole consistency thing lately, trying to get a handle on it now and every thought on the subject has been very helful, as yours has...thanks!! xo

Anonymous said...

[p]Each of them is still very [url=http://www.discounttiffanyjewellery.co.uk]discount tiffany jewellery[/url] popular and now she has become a legend of tiffany jewelry . The Pandora elegance bracelets are often perfect presents to grant aside mainly because the versions often be versatile adequate to produce the whole globe happy . Give a person隆炉s meager wrists a subtle trace having plenty [url=http://www.tiffanyjewelry-outlet.co.uk]cheap tiffany jewelry[/url] of majorly significant and obscure pendants . Tiffany (Tiffany) was founded soon designed a beam of white [url=http://www.discounttiffanyjewellery.co.uk]tiffany jewellery[/url] ribbon of blue box, as its famous landmark . Many people want to purchase tiffany jewelry to top off their [url=http://www.tiffanyjewelry-outlet.co.uk]tiffany jewelry sale[/url] personality . It may be that you can隆炉t use images to any great extent; but there are other tricks . Every piece of tiffany jewelry is an amazing masterpiece that can be used to pass from generation to generation because its eternal charming . One addition affidavit why Tiffany bracelets are acclaimed is that generally Tiffany offers bracelets apropos [url=http://www.discounttiffanyjewellery.co.uk]genuine tiffany jewellery[/url] designs, something like belt bracelets, armlet bracelets and CZ bracelets, etc.[/p][p]This setting raised the stone up from the setting, thus allowing the maximum amount [url=http://www.discounttiffanyjewellery.co.uk]tiffany jewellery sale[/url] of light to set off the diamond隆炉s brilliance . The Pandora elegance bracelets are often perfect presents to grant aside mainly because the versions often be versatile adequate to produce the whole globe happy . Write in a conversational style so the reader feels that you are talking just to them . 隆卤 NBG chief analyst Brian said: 隆掳People want to get the hottest gadget, and would be happy to pay for it, because they will have an extremely great convenience . Now it is becoming a symbol of fashion and beauty . BLOCK: Commentator Bob Greene is the author of 隆掳And You Should Know You Should Be Glad: A True Story of Lifelong Friendship . Mary Christensen 篓C back in Iowa that May 20 years ago 篓C figured that in the confusion of the security check, a guard must [url=http://www.tiffanyjewelry-outlet.co.uk]tiffany jewelry uk
[/url] have mistakenly put the tiffany charm brace into her bag instead of handing it to its owner . several will also be often executed with valuable stones of value.[/p]

Geri Meftah Art said...

Hi Jessica,

It's me again.

I was reading about this wonderful gift. Can there be something more nice than going back in to your own history? I specially love the old scrapbook and your grandma's needles's.Isn't it amazing?

Good bye and I promise to write you more from now on.

Greetings from Geri

24 Corners said...

Geri...Hello! It's been so amazing to go back in time with my family, and the scrapbook & needles are my facorite items as well, just so special.It's all a bit overwhelming the more I dive into it (there's so much), but wonderful none the less!
I promise to visit more often as well...I miss you and your amazing blogs (and the Bronte's, of course). xoxo