Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Spoonful Of Charming Company

Look who's flown in, and has been keeping me company whilst I've been somewhat down with a very naughty back these last few days...

Why the lovely Mary Poppins of course, and she's been practically the most perfect company...in every way!

Such a cheery disposition...and since she's never cross or cruel when it comes to feeding and medicine time (no gruel or Castor oil - ever, just delicious fruit flavored cordials, and toast with jam), there is no reason to hide toads in her bed (she's in the guest room at the moment) or put pepper in her tea!

She's been very kind and very witty...her rosy cheeks and sing-song voice have made me feel so much better! And did you know that she's very dear friends with....

Miss. Truly Scrumptious? Well, she is! And between the two of them...my ill back has started to feel maybe just a drop better, at least for a nano-second here and there when I'm singing with them or tapping my pinkie which is about the only thing that isn't hurting at the moment.

Miss. Scrumptious is as lovely as a cherry-peach parfait, her clothes are prettier than a breeze across the bay...and she has been spoiling me rotten with gingerbread, lollipops, sugar plums with cinnamon, and lemon tarts (this hasn't gone over very well with Mary, but she knows that Truly is just trying to help). I hope she never, never, ever goes away.

Now Mary and Truly both had another friend that they insisted I invite over, she was from France. Little did they know that I had met Gigi before...

And since I remembered her well...I thought it a grand idea to have her join out little get-well party. I loved the idea of having her regale us with tales of the latest from Paris, and thank heavens, even though Gigi is not one to adore or understand the Parisian's...she's happily shared the pomp, luster, and sparkle of Paris in all of it's 1900's best.

Tomorrow though...these ladies are arriving.

As well as these...and I must admit I'm a bit nervous, as all I've been comfortable wearing are my old Gap sweats and hoodie, I hope they'll be understanding.

And I hope that they'll bring a few of the domestics with them, I think Mr. 24 would appreciate it very much as making tea and crumpets is really not one of his strong points, but I'm sure Mary and Truly would be more that happy to give him a hand, and Gigi as well...although I do believe she only knows how to make chamomile tea...that would be fine, wouldn't it? I suppose we'll just have to wait until tomorrow to find out.

Please wish us luck, as I think these ladies are probably very serious about their tea!


(Disclaimer: I've taken nothing stronger that Advil...truly! I'm just enjoying the wonderful company.)

(all images 'google/imbd')

23 comments:

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Jessica:
How really sorry we are to learn that you have been 'laid low' with back problems, nothing worse, but are delighted to know that you have been passing the time in such a very high spirited way and trust that you will soon be less in need of the company of Mary and Truly!

Whatever, Mr. 24 will, we are certain, be pleased to be off duty!!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful companions! The Downton ladies will take care of you knowing that a cup of hot sweet tea will cure anything.

Anonymous said...

amazing ♥

24 Corners said...

Dear Jane&Lance: Yes...nothing worse, trying to stay cheery despite it all...that's where the ladies are coming in very handy.
Mr.24 is really doing his very best...but I think he'll be extremely grateful when I'm back on my feet again.
Ginger seems to be enjoying the one on one time very much though and is enjoying the ladies as much as I am. ;)
xo

B&P: You make the Downton ladies sound kind and caring, that's very encouraging, and I'd be more than happy to sample their sweet tea...thank you for easing my fears! xo

24 Corners said...

Andressa: Glad you enjoyed it...thank you for visiting! ♥

pve design said...

When one's back goes out, it is good to call upon such strong ladies.
Surely they will each come equipped with lost of wise remedies and good laughs.
My wise Mother always told me that a when one has back aches, remedy it with tea and deep cleansing breaths....followed by daily sit-ups to strengthen the core which supports good health for getting back to life and living normally.
Feel better dear.
pve

Mise said...

Oh poor you! But it's good to find you in such high spirits, and in such sparkling company. I hope you will be much better soon, and that being laid low gives you plenty of peace for blogging and bookreading.

24 Corners said...

pve: Thank you for the caring advise, I feel better already just from the reading of it. You have a very wise mother. I have been taking tea, and trying to remember to breath, deeply...both do help! The sit-ups will have to wait just a bit but my core is definitely in need of some extra strengthening. For the first time, I'm actually looking forward to being able to do sit-ups. xo

Mise: Yes, trying to look at the bright side. Good, cheery company and being 'forced' to blog and read are things to be grateful for...thank you for the reminder, I'm very much so trying to take advantage of the situation and use it to the best advantage, and I'm realizing how very handy a laptop would be now! xo

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry about your back. You are certainly putting your time to good use! Last night, my daughter and I picked up the new Jane Eyre movie from our local Redbox. It's so good for watching the colors and small details of the time. However, Mr. Rochester was a bit cheezy in this rendition.

24 Corners said...

Sarah: Have you seen the BBC mini-series version from a few years ago? It's the best...and Mr. Rochester couldn't be less cheezy in that one, he was perfect, as was Jane...it's one of my favorites. I almost watched it actually, but needed a bit more 'cheer' at the moment..it's next on the list though! xo

Karena said...

Oh dearest get better very soon.

I know what you are going through trust me. Ice packs as well help a lot. Plus if you need something stronger than Advil, do take it.

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Come and join my Giveaway from Interieurs!

24 Corners said...

Karena: Oh, thank you, I'm trying! You know of what I speak then...I'm so sorry, it's no fun is it?! We do have ice packs...I'm very cold resistant so I haven't used them yet though, but upon your recommendation, maybe I shall. And thank you for the go ahead on a stronger 'Advil'...I'm hoping it doesn't come to that, but if needed, I'll comply.
On my way over now...xoxo

annie@mostlovelythings said...

Jessica,

Oh back troubles...no fun at all, but how amazing that you came up with this lively post...your creativity shines and no pain can take that away. Time, advil and ice...take good care.
xo annie

24 Corners said...

Annie: Thank you, you're so kind...I think the liveliness of these ladies has helped tremendously. How can one be blue when being surrounded by so much sweetness and cheer...it's just about impossible really. So glad I chose them for company! xoxo

red ticking said...

ohhh so sorry to hear you have back issues... i looked for you today for our wonderful hug but could not find you... so i am giving you one gentle one now... for a full recovery... xoxo

Rabbit Town Art said...

Oh no! Back problems...so sorry to hear that and I do hope you get better soon! I love Mary Poppins but I have never met Ms. Truly Scrumptious or Gigi. Perhaps I shall have a looksie and meet their acquaintance. Am glad you have a Mr. 24corners looking after you. Thanks for taking the time to pass through my blog too!

24 Corners said...

Pam: Would have loved seeing you...and having a hug, I was so sorry that I wasn't able to go today...thank heavens there's weeks of Sunday's ahead. I appreciate the gentle one here and now though, very much. ♥

Marta: Thank you, me too! Ms. Scrumptious is from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...Gigi, well, she's from Gigi. I hope you do get to see them, they're so wonderful movies...and very inspiring too! xoxo

Unknown said...

Hope you'll be better soon! I'm still in love with your lanterns.

24 Corners said...

Linnea...thank you, I'm trying! Glad the lanterns 'spoke' to you.
xo J~

Splendid Market said...

Okay, I don't quite get this, maybe it is because I am new to your blog, or maybe you are on some really good pain pills. Anyway, I do love Truly Scrumptious and if I were sick in anyway, I would certainly wan to have her around. I hope you are feeling better!

24 Corners said...

Splendid...So very glad you visited! And for the recored...nothing stronger than Advil was ingested, Brownie's honor (if there is such a thing)! I highly recommend watching the movies for further explanation...all will be understood then! xo

gillyflower said...

Well you've been in glad company there, no doubt about it!
Arent they just the greatest films? And so innocent and cheerful, a world apart, sheer escapism - I do hope you enjoyed it all and that it went some little way to compensate for your poor back.
Enjoy the next films!
Gill xx

24 Corners said...

Gilly...I'm so glad you think so too!! I was completely cheered up by watching them which did make the whole back issue less irritating, they've been a complete blessing! xoxo