Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Beginning of Appreciation

I had always loved beautiful architecture, but it wasn't until moving to Seattle in my very late teens, that I became enamoured with it, obsessed with it actually. It seemed that every single neighborhood was filled to the brim with homes just dripping with character...my breath was continually taken away.
































Some of these images I've had forever and are from the Windermere Real Estate website (which used to be fantastic, not so much anymore). Others were taken from another local real estate company called Seattle Dream Homes and some are from when I used to drive around the city, camera in hand, taking pictures like a mad woman, absorbing the unique characteristics of these glorious historic homes, planning for the day when we would either be able to purchase one...
or create our own.






7 comments:

Catherine said...

I could look at old houses all day and night. When I was a teenager, I had a subscription to "Colonial Home" magazine! I even went so far as to cut out pictures and hang them on my walls. C. Thomas Howell was up there too...but my crush faded with him and only deepened with beautiful old houses. X Trina

24 Corners said...

I love that you hung old house pictures on your wall as a teenager! How fortunate we are to be living the dream!
By the way...C. Thomas - that is so cute!
xo

Dennice {Fringe} said...

It's so true, those are like artwork for your walls. I could see an entire series in black and white, taking up a whole wall...

These examples are just gorgeous. I've always wanted a home with a covered front porch like the old ones have.

xo

24 Corners said...

D ~ We always wanted a front porch too (ala - A Country Farmhouse) especially since we live in the Northwest where it rains a bit ;)...it was number one on our list for the new house. But since we have "a small forest" almost surrounding our house, we decided it would be better to have as much sun coming in as possible, so no porch.
We're enjoying one now at our temporary home though (a cute little cottage), and it's been wonderful.

Love, love, love the idea of putting a series of beautiful architecural images on the wall, wheels are spinning!

Toni said...

I am right there with ya! I love those neighborhoods that are just drenched in beauty! Such a lovely blog you have! I will be following!

24 Corners said...

Toni~ Thank you...so glad you visited! It's nice to know another appreciator of architectural beauty!
Best,
Jessica

Valerie said...

I love how passionate you are about Seattle's architecture.