Well without further ado here he is, our new roommate...he's technically named Limpy due to the fact that he was limping when he was spotted by Mr. 24 on a hunting trip...I know, very original, that's why I say 'technically named' as I think he's deserving of a much more majestic name, though one hasn't occurred to me yet.
He officially joined our household the day before Thanksgiving so he was able to take part in the festivities, mostly by just observing everyone and watching us eat though.
I was very trepidatious about his becoming a part of our home as I'm a huge animal lover and have never liked (read-abhorred) the idea of trophy animals, but Mr. 24 on the other hand grew up in Alaska and didn't even taste beef until he was nine. His family hunted and caught every piece of meat they ate for the first nine years of his life, mostly moose and venison, with rabbits and salmon thrown in for good measure.
Mr. 24 hadn't been hunting in ages when a neighbor invited him to go several years ago, and thus poor dear Limpy entered our lives. The only thing that eases the thought of his demise for me is the fact that he was already injured and was taken out of his misery. He also ended up being turned into charcuterie...that helped a bit as well, he wasn't 'wasted'.
For several years he lived in Mr. 24's office, but recently the Mr. changed offices, and they can no longer hang out at work together. They might be able work together again someday, but for now, 'Limpy' will be staying with us.
Here he is on the car ride home from the office...
And this is where's he's been for the past six months while I tried to come to terms with him becoming a temporary (or permanent) member of our household (notice the fish art in the background, another office acquirement...I see a cabin in our future).
So far he's blending in well I think, and behaving very respectfully.
I greatly appreciate the fact that he doesn't stare at me while I'm doing the dishes...he prefers to look out the window, which is kind of sad and sweet.
Now maybe we'll focus on getting our mantel put up, we have some old timbers from a now defunct 100 year old flour mill that we've been contemplating using...they would compliment Limpy nicely.
We've been actually getting along so well, that if and when the time comes for him to leave...I just might want him to stay...surprisingly (very surprisingly), he's grown on me!
Now for the new name.
Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving...how was that already one week ago?!
Now maybe we'll focus on getting our mantel put up, we have some old timbers from a now defunct 100 year old flour mill that we've been contemplating using...they would compliment Limpy nicely.
We've been actually getting along so well, that if and when the time comes for him to leave...I just might want him to stay...surprisingly (very surprisingly), he's grown on me!
Now for the new name.
Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving...how was that already one week ago?!











10 comments:
Hi Jessica: He is very majestic looking, and the fact that he was injured makes it feel better. I saw a deer once hit by a car and didn't die but was severely wounded. The Police man had to put him out of his misery.
I absolutely love your home. And that fireplace. I would take it without the mantle; it is gorgeous.
I know you will enjoy the warmth it brings. Take Care.
Dear Jessica,
Limpy is magnificent and what a beautiful face ….. I think that he looks wonderful in your lovely home.
….and, I don't think that you should re-name him ….. Limpy he was and Limy he should remain !!!!! XXXX
Purple Flowers~ Kathy, what a sad deer story...breaks my heart what animals go through, thank goodness the policeman was able to help.
You know, we haven't used our fireplace yet, mostly because we had nowhere to sit in the living and dining room for such a long time, but now that we do, I think we should, especially since we're having a winter freeze at the moment. Thank you for your kind words...xo
Jacqueline~ Mr. 24 will be pleased as punch to hear that you think Limpy's name should stay as he thinks it should as well (he did name him that after all).
He does have a beautiful face, doesn't he...that's one of the reason's I'm starting to fall for him, such a handsome fellow...so happy you like him in our home, my family is floored that I do now too! xo
Hello Jessica
Limpy has a place of honour in your home.
I am happy that the mystery is solved. I would not have guessed what your new acquisition was.
I love the brightness and freshness of your home
Helen xx
I would have mixed feelings as well, but he is beautiful. enjoy!
You are too hilarious! You know I have to say I find Ole' Limpy quite attractive. He looks quite at peace in your beautiful home and I swear I saw a smile on his face and a twinkle in that glass eye of his!
I really do think he is a great addition to your magnificent home Jessica. Oddly enough, this week I purchased Stag horns from a local hunter. I want to mount them and hang over our fireplace in the kitchen. However I won't have a wee face to keep me company.
I hope your Thanksgiving was a happy one and you are gearing up for some more holiday fun? Keep warm over there; you have colder weather than we do!!! It was 53F here today.
Sending big hugs and so glad to know your new roomie is a 'deer' friend. xoxoxox
Deb~ I thought you'd like him! How ironic and wonderful that you just got your own pair of antlers, even if there's no 'wee face' (Limpy's face is all but 'wee' though). They'll look fantastic in your kitchen, can't wait to see!
Wonderful Thanksgiving...was thinking of you. It's been so cold, 15* last night and is supposed to snow today...your 53* sounds so warm. Ginger is all bundled up like the Michelin Man...she waddles on her outings now.
Hugs to you & Buffy T...and all the best with your abode adventures!
xo J~
The deer is looking beautiful with the house. I didn't seen like this before. Thanks for sharing. Awesome Home decor Ideas
Hi Jessica.
Is it allready 2 years ago that I sent you my cat Christmas card?????? Time is running.
I want to wish you: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year for you and your family.
I hope everything is allright with you?
Greetings from Geri
Happy New Year!!!! :)
Post a Comment