Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Perfectly Possible Impossibility

Thanks to Karianne and her Impossibilities Challenge, I am very happy to say that bread baking and I are no longer enemies! I am now on speaking terms with Active Dry Yeast again, and have high hopes for many more enjoyable, varied, and delicious get togethers in the future.

I had decided to ease my way into this bread baking challenge by attempting to make Williams- Sonoma's Rosemary-Lemon No Knead Bread, since for a long time now, a beloved staple at 24C's table has been Essential Bakery's Rosemary Diamante Bread...and the thought of being able to make a similar version really excited me. The chants of 'fool-proof' regarding No Knead breads might also have had somewhat of a hand in the choice as well.

So I gathered my flour, Active Dry Yeast, cornmeal, salt, rosemary, and lemon...and got to making some bread!

The recipe calls for two teaspoons each, chopped rosemary and lemon zest...but for the zest, instead of chopping, I chose to use a microplane grater, which worked beautifully. One lemon produced the needed two teaspoons, as did 1 sprig of Rosemary.

The lemon zest and rosemary were added to the other dry ingredients...

And all were whisked together.

Then came the part I was nervous about...adding the water. The recipe didn't specify warm water, which is what I've always thought was needed when working with yeast, so I was a bit unsure of what to do. In the end, I used warm water. I didn't use a thermometer, just my finger, making sure that it was 'just' warm, and not hot or cold. All was then stirred together...and right then and there, the smell became intoxicating!

The dough is very, very sticky, and initially I had used a wooden spoon to stir it, but after having some 'issues', I quickly switched to a large rubber spatula which helped tremendously, especially in scraping the dough off the sides of the bowl so that a nice, clean little lump could be formed. Then the dilemma of where to let the dough 'get happy' for 12-18 hours, at 70* popped up...and Mr. 24 came up with a marvelous solution.

Our little guest bath, which isn't quite finished yet, is always at a nice and steady 70* due to the radiant heat and tile flooring in there...it would be the perfect incubator! The thermostat that controls the radiant heat for the 'south wing' of the house is in the bathroom, so we always know exactly what the temperature is there, which lucky for us in the winter, is 70*!

The dough sat where our future clawfoot tub is going to be (I dream of that day).

I set the bowl away from the window to ensure warmth, and said goodnight to the little critters who were going to be working the night away, creating the magic & bubbles needed for the next stage of the process.

In the morning...there were definitely bubbles, but I felt that there could be a few more, so thinking that even more warmth might be beneficial, I moved the dough to kitchen, turned on the very warming vent hood lights, and let it sit another few hours on the stove top.

I had read that 12 hours of resting is minimum, but that 18 is optimal...I went with 17, and there were definitely more bubbles by then...the dough was ready!

I sprinkled flour on the counter, scraped the dough out of the bowl onto it (which was quite messy-such a sticky dough!)...sprinkled more flour on my hands and on the top of the dough...attempted to fold it over a few times (it's like trying to fold jello over). It then rested on the counter, covered in plastic wrap for 15 minutes, while I got a little cornmeal bed ready for the 2 hour nap that was next on the dough's agenda.

WAY too much cornmeal...!

After the 15 minute rest is when the fun began! You are somehow supposed to form the very gloppy blob of dough into a ball, with a *seam* on the bottom....HA! There was no forming and no seaming...but I did my best, and somehow managed to get the dough on to the towel (I still have no idea how) in the precarious shape of a lumpy ball.

More cornmeal was sprinkled on top of it (again, WAY too much)...

And then it was gently 'tucked in' with another flour sack towel laid lightly atop of it. The 2 hour cornmeal quiet time had commenced!

During this time, I got my trusty little yellow pot ready by protecting it's knob with some foil, which my friend Jacqueline suggested I do (very grateful for that tip J~), given that the oven temperature of 450* might be a bit too hot for it...and I also cleaned the bowl and the counter, which looked as if a PlayDough convention had just passed through (sticky!!).

At the 1 1/2 hour mark, I placed the pot in the oven and pre-heated it to the recommended 450*. At the two hour mark, I carefully pulled the towel off of the dough, saw that it had indeed puffed up a bit during it's nap (don't we all...?), and then realized that somehow, I had to literally 'dump' the dough into the awaiting, very hot pot. I started to wonder what was to become of all that cornmeal, as you were supposed to lift the towel up with your hand underneath the dough, to do the dumping. So I decided to try and 'spill' as much of the cornmeal as I could onto the counter next to the stove, where the hot pot was now awaiting it's sticky package.

It worked quite well...and I was able to get the dough into the pot with only a minimal amount of cornmeal scattered about the stove and kitchen, though I did have to bring the vacuum out afterwards.

I gave the pot a couple of shakes as suggested in the recipe, placed it in the oven, set the timer for 30 minutes...and let it bake away to it's hearts content. This is where the bread's heavenly aroma really started to wander throughout the house, causing me to think that this whole endeavor might actually produce a real live loaf of deliciously edible bread.

After 30 minutes, this is what it looked like. Now it was supposed to bake with the lid off for another 15 to 30 minutes...how, may I ask you, was I supposed to know which?! Was it 15 or 30?? How was I to tell...the crust was already looking golden, it sounded hollow when I tapped it...what was I to do? Well, I went to the computer, looked up several recipes again, and decided that since most went for the 30 minutes, I would do 25...and it worked!

Using a fish spatula, I lifted the bread out of the pot after a total time of 55 minutes, set in on a rack to cool...

And just stared at it for a while...it looked good!!!

The real test came though, when later that evening, after I coming home from work, with an armload of Thai food for dinner...I sliced into the bread and Mr. 24 and I had our first taste...it was perfect, in every way...even with extra cornmeal crunch coating!

The lemon and rosemary weren't over powering at all...they were very subtle, yet definitely there, and the interior was soft and airy...just as it should be...I couldn't have been more pleased, and quickly...we both became addicted to it and almost forgot that we had an enormous amount of Thai food awaiting us and that we probably shouldn't eat it all then and there...so we didn't...we've saved that pleasure for tonight!!

Thank you again to Karianne, and to her friends who have shared in hosting this Challenge Extravaganza...and also to Jacqueline, and to Williams-Sonoma...you have all helped me to conquer a very silly fear with great success, I am so very grateful!!!

Please visit Karianne at Thistlewood Farm to see what others chose for their challenges...the range was anything and everything. I think my next challenge might be filing...still my greatest nemesis.

What would your great challenge be? I'd love to hear about it!

24 comments:

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Why oh why do I continue to click on food thumbnails while hungry?

Yes, that Miss Kari is quite the motivator. Congrats on your bread success! And thanks for linking up ...

Linda
itallstartedwithpaint@gmail.com

thistlewoodfarm said...

Oh....your bread is so much prettier than mine! Thanks for future breadspiration and thanks so much for linking to the party!
blessings,
karianne

helen tilston said...

Hello Jessica

Congratulations and how delicious your bread looks. That is a lot of work and no doubt worthwhile.
I have never baked with yeast. I do make Irish soda bread and rather than yeast one uses baking soda and buttermilk.
I love your kitchen and pots

Well done and I am proud of you

Helen xx

Kelley said...

OMG will read it all again!

nummers

xoxo kelley

Purple Flowers said...

The aroma must have been fantastic! As far as a challenge, I think it's the bread for me. When I do finally decided to bake a loaf, I am going to come to your blog and re-read your experience!

24 Corners said...

Linda~ Hello...and thank you! for partneriing int the Impossibility party (and the follow)...it's nice to meet you!! xo

Thistlewoodfarm(aka-Karianne!)~ I seriously beg to differ on that point...I thought YOUR bread looked as light and fluffy as a cloud, and I'm positive it tasted heavenly...very bakery worthy...you should did an amazing job!! xo

Helen~ Thank you so very much!! It was a lot of work, but a lot of fun too, I'm definitely going to try working with it again.
I've always wanted to make Irish Soda Bread, maybe that's what I'll make next, I love anything made with buttemilk! Please let me know if you give yeast a try, and I'll do the same for the Soda bread. ♥

Kelley~ Thanks!!! It was 'nummers'...can't wait to make it again!!! :d
xoxo

PurpleFlowers~ The aroma of bread baking in the house was one of the best parts of this whole challenge...it really made me smile!
Please let me know if you give baking bread a try, I'd love to know how it goes for you...I'm sure it will come out fabulous!! :)
xo

Mise said...

How wonderful, Jessica; that looks absolutely delicious. A long wait and quite a bit of work, but it looks well worth it. I'm definitely going to add some cornmeal to my next batch of bread, and I wish I could pop over to your place for a slice right now. Hungry me.

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Jessica:
Congratulations, a medal is in order......not only for persevering but for producing such an incredibly good looking loaf!!

We can feel ourselves sliding further and further behind in the culinary stakes whilst our blog buddies streak ahead with their culinary expertise. Gosh, Jessica, you will be writing '24 cutting corners'......bread for the masses....before we can say a slice please!!!!

Anonymous said...

That is one spoiled little dough ball, if mine ever hears that yours has his own bathroom, there will be trouble!

Isn't bread making fun? Those flavours sound lovely together, I wonder if I could just slop them into my normal bread? I'll have a go.
I could honestly and easily live on bread, burnt toast and butter is my favourite meal.

Lynne said...

Looks yummy . . . and you have amazing patience . . . The end result looks like it turned out beautifully.
You did it!!!

24 Corners said...

Mise~ I wish you could pop over for a slice too and perhaps give me some pointers. I was thinking of your sourdough while making this. To use yeast *and* a starter...now that's baking bread!! It's funny, what took the longest was all the picture taking inbetween steps...I'm looking forward to baking my next loaf without my camera attached at the hip. xo

Jane & Lance~ Please don't feel 'behind' in anything!!! You mustn't compare...we are not all cooks, there must be those that can purely enjoy and truly appreciate what others can make, whether it be in the kitchen, the sewing room (where I am sorely and immensely without talent), and of course the garden...where I know your talents have shone like the sun, as it does now in your home and your eye for finding beauty is all...not to mention your enormous and generous spirits...I think we all strive to be a bit more like the Hattatt's actually, I know I do!
By the way, you can share a ride over with Mise...you all have slices awaiting you! xoxo

Tabitha! I don't think laughed as much at a comment as I have at your precious one here!
This little ball of dough *was* spoiled horribly, as well as cottled and catered to in every way, all in the hopes that it would behave and stay buoantly happy...which thank heavens it did!!
Baking the bread was great fun...I think it's fabulous that you're an old pro at it now. Let me know if you try the Rosemary & Lemon in your own loaf, I'd love to know how it goes. xoxo

Lynne~ Thank you...patience was key here, but all in all, it was fairly easy and I'm really looking forward to my next round, it was quite a satisfying task to accomplish!! xo

Unknown said...

Brava You! I'm going to send you all the variation-recipes now... my favourite is the cinnamon, walnut-raisin loaf!

annie@mostlovelythings said...

Your bread looks beautiful...I love rosemary and lemon...have never thought to make bread using this combination. Also, I never thought to cover my lid with foil...thank you for that suggestion.
xo
annie

Jenny Woolf said...

What a great step by step description of how to make this bread. I had considered it but don't have a guest bathroom at 70 deg. - in fact, don't even have an airing cupboard. There's nowhere in our London apt. that is a constant temperature, and where you could leave a bowl of dough.

I've been considering getting a breadmaker but I still have to find somewhere to put a bread maker. One thing about living in central London though is you might not have much living space but there ARE lots of nice bread shops around...... hmmmmm :)

If I find room for the breadmaker I'll try lemon and rosemary, though. We have a huge rosemary plant in the garden. Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Elizabeth Rose Stanton said...

You've put us all to shame ;)
...and such delicious photos! Congrats on your accomplishment!!! :)

24 Corners said...

Jacqueline~ Thank you!!! I can't wait to try other varieties, the wanlut-raisin ones sounds yummy! this one has been pretty addicting...I might be baking bread now more often than I anticipated. :)

Annie~ Thank you...I love the combo of rosemary lemon too, it's actually a favorite soup of mine. Maybe I should try the two together and really get of dose of R & L! xo

Je,,y~ We recieved a bread machine for our wedding many moons ago and never had anywhere to put it so needless to say, it never was used and was given away years later...pretty sad! I know that many people use their oven as a temperature insulator...and initially, I was just going to stick it under a lamp for bulb heat..I'm sure there's a London flat way to keep that little ball warm, but as you said...there ARE the bread shops, can't go wrong with those!
Thank you for stopping by as well...xo

ElizabethRose~ I wonder what adventures *your* bread might have...hmmmmm! ;)

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Wow! I need to try this, love lemon and rosemary...and even cornmeal. It looks so good, I can totally picture you just staring and smiling at it. :)

Thanks so much for linking up to the challenge!
Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

Cindy said...

Congratulations on finding a great recipe and for the fact that it came out as you had hoped! I have baked bread often and I understand the challenge that it can be.
I'm so glad you came over and left me a comment. I will check out more of it now!
Hugs, Cindy

RHome410 said...

Very successful bread! I will have to try your recipe, as I've never had lemon and rosemary in bread, and I have a hard time getting that nice bubbly interior in my attempts at artisan breads.

Rabbit Town Art said...

You can beat that Filing! No problems there at all! I must commend you on your photographs yet again, I always love looking through them. Your bread looks wonderful and am glad it's no longer your nemesis! Woohoo! Something new conquered! Loved your soup post too. Deliciously healthy!. Yum...making me hungry though!

red ticking said...

seriously... all things are possible with God!!!
BRAVO... i am sooo impressed!
my list is so long... i try to conquer a new fear everyday... xoxo

gillyflower said...

Wow! Congratulations! What a marathon, but it looks so well worth it!
Love the photo of the little pot of dough in the shower!!!!
Well done on achieving your goal!

Gill xx

Anonymous said...

Looks good enough to eat! :)

Instead of a towel, I put my dough on a 1/4 sheet of parchment paper (cornmeal sprinkled on first).
Much easier to lift into the very hot pot.

Can't wait to try this recipe.

~skye

24 Corners said...

Skye~ Thank you so much for that tip...I'll try it next time! xo