Monday, January 23, 2012

A Deliciously Healthy Soup & Challenge


Beautiful soup so rich and green, waiting in a hot tureen! ~Lewis Carroll, 'Alice In Wonderland'


Well, I might not actually have had a 'hot tureen' full of green soup...but I did have a nice big pot of it, and with the New Year calling out for healthier fare after all the sugar indulging during the holidays, and our weather deciding to take a very chilly turn this past week, it seemed a most appropriate, warming, and welcoming dish to cook up!



Wintry weather and soup go together so beautifully, don't they?

Well this particular soup is one that I've been making for many years, it's extremely delicious, extremely healthy, and it's from one of my all time favorite cookbooks...'The New Basics'. I'm sure many of you know of it, but if perchance you don't, then please do check it out, it's as much a pleasure to read as it is to cook from...one of the absolute best!

Broccoli Spinach Soup:
Peel and chop 2 pounds of broccoli, set aside. Melt 1/2 stick butter in 5 qt. soup pot, add onion, leeks, carrot, and garlic, and a little salt and pepper. Saute until soft, about 10 minutes. Add chicken stock, broccoli, tomatoes, and parsley. Bring to boil and simmer for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, add one 10oz package baby spinach to the soup (much easier than using bunched spinach and having to clean it)...we've also used swiss chard in place of the spinach (very good)...which *is* bought bunched. Stir in cardamom, fresh grated nutmeg, and more salt & pepper. Cook one more minute, remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly.

Puree soup in food processor or blender (careful there), return to pot, add the juice of one lemon...and my own personal touch if you like, some crushed dried tarragon, and a teeniest pinch of cayenne. Then...enjoy!

Here I've paired the soup with a turkey, cheddar, and apple sandwich on whole grain bread...so good! And speaking of bread...here comes the 'challenge' part of the post.

My new blogging friend Karianne, of Thistlewood Farm, is hosting an 'Imagine The Impossibilities' challenge, where you pick something that has been a nagging impossibility for you in the past...and tackle it head on! Well it turned out that Karianne's most challenging-challenge was the same one that I've been agonizing over for years...baking homemade bread. So I've decided to make Williams-Sonoma's No Knead Rosemary Lemon Bread for my challenge, as I've heard many good things about the 'no knead' method, and think it might be a good way for Dry Active Yeast and I to get reacquainted!

I have absolutely no issues with baking pies, cakes, cookies, muffins, cobblers, crisps, tarts, and all other manner of baked goods you could possibly think of...but anything with live yeast...no thank you! My one attempt produced rock hard lumps of what was supposed to be soft and chewy cinnamon rolls...and after that, I swore off yeast baked goods for ever, although secretly, I've been wanting to try using the little buggers (the yeast) again for years, and thanks to Karianne...now seems to be the perfect time to give it a go.

So, my trusty little Le Creuset pot and I are going to attempt to make the Rosemary Lemon Bread this week...and no matter what happens, I'll be sharing the results with you all (dear oh dear).


Those of you that have made No Knead Bread before (such as Jacqueline of Beauty In The Ordinary, who has made a different version of it and loves it) please feel free to share any little nuggets of wisdom you've learned about the process...and most of all...please, please, please...wish me and my little yellow pot luck!


16 comments:

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Wow! This soup looks amazing and congrats on the bread endeavor. Williams-Sonoma always delivers!

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Jessica:
Gosh, your soup looks absolutely delicious and, we are sure, tastes so. We totally agree about winter and soup being the perfect partnership and we are great soup afficionados. If only we could have pulled up our chairs at the table!!!

24 Corners said...

A & A...The soup *is* amazing, and really do feel healthier after eating it.
Thank you for the boost about W&S, I've suprisingly not cooked a recipe of theirs yet and have wndered about that fact, I feel a bit more confident and at ease now. xo

Dear Jane & Lance...I wish you had been at the table to 'break bread' with us over the soup...just know, there are always two spots and two extra bowls at the ready!
I believe I could live on soup alone all the year long, with the the cool varieties keeping us happy and nourished during the summer, there's nothing better! xo

helen tilston said...

Hello Jessica

Your soup looks superb. I share you love for soup and could possibly live on it for lunch at least daily. It must be homemade too. I will save your recipe.
Your bread looks superb too. I will be anxious to hear how it turns out. I have never baked with yeast.
Wishing you a great week

Helenxx

LPC said...

Aaack! That soup looks amazing!

Jenny Woolf said...

Beautiful soup both visually and I would guess , taste wise. I am a big soup fan too

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Dear Jessica,
Your soup look divine. I LOVE soup so much especially in the Winter.Thanks so much for the recipe. I will be sure to try it.
Also, many thanks for your lovely comments. I must apologise for missing some of your posts lately....we seem to have been so busy lately helping our children move, decorate and babysit !!
Best of luck with your bread. XXXX

gillyflower said...

What a wonderful post Jessica!
The soup looks delicious, and I was so glad to find you have very kindly shared the recipe too! It sounds so healthy too!
Am liking the sound of no knead bread too, and i shall check out your links, especially Karianne - what a great idea to get motivated!
Thanks for such a great post!
Gill xx

red ticking said...

would have loved to see and be in the snow and this soup looks like the delicious part of the dreary days of january... (but to be honest... i had my fill of snow in colorado and was thrilled to be in sunshine)
miss you... hope you are doing great... see you soon..xx

Unknown said...

don't be afraid Jessica...jump in...it's brilliant!
and with that beautiful pot, how could you possibly fail?
Not sure what the WS recipe says, but if it's the same as the version I have made (many, many times) be sure and protect that lid handle with some foil when you heat the pot (you don't want it to melt!). The handles are usually oven-safe to about 375 degrees, but my recipe calls for 500!
and...thank you for the soup recipe. I will definitely try as we too are on a post-holiday-celebration quest in our house too!

24 Corners said...

LPC...It is!!! :d

JennyWoolf...Thank you for visiting!! I just discovered your Lewis Carroll tie...he must have loved green soup too!! xo

Jacqueline@Home...Please, no worries, I've been feeling so out of 'the blog loop' as well. The soup and the bread are partially acting as proverbial 'kicks in the pants' so to speak, I'm hoping they'll sprinkle some motivational fairy dust on my blog! xo

GillyFlower...How are you??!! Your enthusiasm for the soup and the bread has made me want to tackle the loaf even more...thank you!!! :D

RedTicking...Miss you too!! ♥
The snow was very pretty, but I'm happy it's on it's way out now...I'm ready for spring! You're such a lucky girl getting that dose of vitamin D...I'm desperately feeling the need for some!! See you soon!!! xoxo

Jacqueline...You're my inspiration in this endeavor...thank you for the boost of confidence...AND the tip about the lid knob, I was wondering about that! I'm going to print both recipes and compare...maybe I'll make both (ha)!! xo

Yvette said...

That soup looks absolutely luscious. I'm going to give it a try. I'll freeze some and eat some. Perfect for this wintery damp weather we're having here.

Beadboard UpCountry said...

That soup looks delish and I have that cookbook!!!!!!!!! The bread looks good too. I also like those "quick" breads like Irish soda bread...... Especially in winter....... Maryanne xo

Elizabeth Rose Stanton said...

Good luck to you and your little yellow pot :)Can't wait to hear how it turns out!
Beautiful photos of our wintry week!

thistlewoodfarm said...

You go girl! I know you can do it and I can't wait to see how it turns out. Trust me.....if I can bake bread....you can do in nothing flat!

blessings,
karianne

Cindy said...

Your soup sounds very good, I may have to make that!
Hugs, Cidny