Monday, August 16, 2010

The Garden Lollipops Are Here

Our delightful dahlias have decided to show us their beautiful faces again, which is a miracle considering they've been in our little make-shift nursery these past four years and haven't really recieved the care that they should have during that time.

Usually we would have dug them up, separated the tubers, marked them, stored them and then in early spring, replanted them. But sadly, with the building of the house, they along with our other nursery plants and flowers...have been pretty much on their own with only the ablsolute bits of care needed being provided for them.


Some of them had even been taken over by the aforementioned jungle that our back yard has become...and still managed to pop through! Only a few haven't graced us with their presence yet...

but I imagine they will show their faces soon enough...and if not, we'll just dig them up this time around and give them the proper attention and care that they deserve.

All of our dahlias are at least 10 years old and are very special to us. The yellow one in the picture above was a gift from a friend who was visiting from Holland (isn't it glorious ?), and the rest...well they're even more special.

They were a gift from an elderly couple in the neighborhood who were known as Mr. and Mrs. Dahlia. They grew rows and rows of the most amazingly beautiful dahlias (hence the name) and since their garden was visible from the street (corner lot - chain link fence), the whole neighborhood was able to enjoy them every year.

Sadly, Mrs. Dahlia passed away, and Mr. Dahlia wanted to keep her legacy alive in the neighborhood, and since I had on many occasions stopped by their house on my dog walking excursions and had developed a relationship with them over the beauty of their gorgeous flowers, he gave quite a few to us, hoping to keep her memory firmly planted in the neighborhood...and in our hearts.

Mr. Dahlia is no longer living here either, he's still with us though last I heard...and we feel so grateful and blessed to be able to carry on the tradition that he and his lovely wife started so many years ago, to care for, share (we've given away so many tubers), and to just enjoy the prettiness of these floral lollipops that bring such happiness and smiles to those that get to see them.
(all images - 24corners)

21 comments:

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Yeah!! I am so envious as they are so gorgeous. My yard is sun baked, bleached of color & sad. Just looking at your photos cheered me up! Hope you stayed cool for the weekend? Thanks for the burst of beauty xx

Notes From ABroad said...

Oh wonderful !
My grandfather was a chef and his hobby was his garden.
He had dahlias as tall as I was .. when I was younger :)
I love them and always think of him when I see them.
These are just beautiful ~

Unknown said...

Even amongst all you water woes you are still able to keep perspective. Hurrah for you Jessica. You are a beacon.

24 Corners said...

Deb...so glad they brought you some cheer...they have me too! xo

aBroad~ They *do* get tall...a few of ours actually tower over me! I love that they remind you of your grandfather, so sweet. ♥

Jacqueline...thank you, we are trying to keep our proverbial chins above the water (and the ants!). ;)

Simple Daisy said...

I have always wanted to grow those!! I love Dahlias! Lucky you...they are so happy and pretty:) :)

Dovecote Decor said...

Mr and Mrs Dahlia live in all our hearts now. I will have to start a collection. Its difficult to have to dig them up every year, so I might try some and see if they can make it on their own in zone 7!

24 Corners said...

Daisy~ Give them a try...you have such a green thumb! The ones that look like a big happy sun would be perfect for you (I wonder if there are any Aqua Dahlias?). ;)

L,V&B~ Such a sweet comment, thank you. Collecting dahlias is addicting, be careful! ;)
They normally don't like to be fozen for too long, maybe there are some sturdy varieties that can take the cold better. Ours have survived in below freezing temps (which don't last the whole winter) so you never know. :)

Brigitte Buxton said...

Jessica, you did a wonderful job creating this blog. These dahlias are unbelievable beautiful.
You can make great greeting cards from them.
I think i will start raising them next year.

24 Corners said...

Gitzi~ I hope you do start raising them...they'd love the California sun! And I have used them a few times for cards! :)

Gramercy Home said...

Dahlia's are one of my favorite. Beautiful images and a beautiful story.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Oh, they are gorgeous! One of my neighbors loves them so much, she christened her baby daughter, Dahlia. It suits the little girl perfectly!

Thanks so much for your visit and your sweet comment. And, for leading me here to your lovely blog! I know I shall visit often, and you are welcome over at our place anytime!

Paris Hotel Boutique said...

So pretty! Thanks for your comment on my blogs. I do appreciate it! Funny, your pink shag carpet. We must be around the same age ;) Lynn

Miss Whistle said...

Oh, these are heavenly!

Miss W

dovecote Decor said...

I'm back to invite you to see my friend's amazing house with us. It is so intellectual, I had to do hours of research, but it turned out to be a real education for me. Put your feet up and grab a cup of coffee.
Liz

Ivy Lane said...

GORGEOUS "POPS"!!!

Anonymous said...

Aren't they gorgeous? Garden lollipops indeed, what a great name! Rachaelxx

shopgirl said...

These are absolutely beautiful!

red ticking said...

lovely post... love the pops... and your comments on my blog are cracking me up... i just love them all... xoxo

pve design said...

They remind me of "fireworks!"
I love how they have that "explosive" quality and yes they also look like lollipops in the garden.
We have a spot here with many and some have umbrellas so the sun does not fade the brilliant color.
pve

24 Corners said...

pve~ they DO look like fireworks!!! I never saw them as such...thank you for the vision, I love it! xo

Maggie May said...

i love love the greenery in your kitchen...so pretty